Mac Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troop04

I am fairly new to this forum, and looking to update my BC996t. I am not new to the whole 800 digital radio system, but am new to programming a digital scanner. I am looking at starting out with the free Uniden software to see how it is to work with programming my scanner. Can anyone tell me if the free download will work on my Mac? It has the Tiger software in it, and it would be nice if it did work. Otherwise I'll probably be upgrading to the Leopard software. I tried emailing Uniden with my question, and they just said you need to download the software. Totally missed my whole question, and I haven't heard back since I replied back with a follow-up question. Thanks in advance

bezking

Hi,
ARC software works very well in VMware Fusion for me with Windows XP and a USB-Serial adapter, so I would bet that the same would work for you.

KE5MC

I don’t have a good answer for you, but this is some of what I know.

Almost a year ago I bought a MacBook and I have been a PC user for a long time. I keep the PC for a few programs that don’t have native Mac applications. Scanner programs fall in that class. The Butel software is PC only and I have not run across any that are. Many will say it possible with the software that allows Windows to run on a Mac. There are some pitfalls that get overlooked. The Apple free version is not a dual boot that you can easily switch from one operating system to the other. Then there are the ones that do, but they are not free. The biggest problem, you need a full version of Window. The OEM version or upgrade version will not do. Then depending on the radio which I have two a 780 and 396 both need serial communication and my Mac is USB only. My PC is too, but the 2port serial to USB has a Windows driver that works well with the hardware and ARC programs. Not sure that all the piece are in place for the Windows side to work thru the Mac side of the USB hardware.

Over the last several months my opinion only based on following the various discussion threads is the cost to get there on a Mac is high ($) and the USB to serial could be a road block.

Situation change quickly and maybe there are good solutions now. I have a PC for a fallback so I was not motivated to find a working solution on a Mac

I hope this helps.

Mike

Troop04

Sounds like I might be needing to update my Macpro to the Leapord version so I can run both windows and Mac. Thanks guys. Any others with the knowledge of the Mac side of computers, feel free to respond as well. All info. is welcomed as I learn on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.