MAC owners, there is hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
On the suggestion of another poster, I am pleased to report that I am using VMWare fusion with my BCD436, and there are NO ISSUES. Apparently VMWare has better isolation from the Mac OS, therefore keeping the SD card from being written by OS X.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
N2MWE, That is great news! Have you tried all aspects of your scanner writing to and from scanner to your Mac? Also, making changes on x36hp Sentinel?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Yes, so far so good. I'm installing VMWare on my MacBook now to give it a shot with the 536. I'm going to presume since the 436 has been working the 536 will be a breeze. I am extremely pleased with this so far!

tilt404

I use parallels with my Mac to run Windows inside OS X. It cost a bit but works well and lets you share drives between the two, even external ones. Let you run it right in OS X full screen also and puts a windows dock up in the menu bar. So there are no windows if you like, just runs both OS's on the main screen at the same time. Works well.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I had a lot of problems with parallels corrupting the sd cards. So far the scanner likes fusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

durangoGreg

Yeah, there is an issue with Parallels USB driver and the x36 radios. It doesn't see the USB mode as a drive and it corrupts the SDCard. It has nothing to do with mac or OS X. It is a Parallels / Uniden issue.

However you can still use Sentinel with Parallels. You will just need to use a card reader to program the MicroSd card instead of using the Uniden radio directly.

VMWare doesn't have this USB issue.

There are a lot of uninformed here who think that Macs corrupt SDCards which isn't true. It is a Parallels / Uniden USB driver/ firmware issue and has nothing to do with OS X.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, there is an issue with Parallels USB driver and the x36 radios. It doesn't see the USB mode as a drive and it corrupts the SDCard. It has nothing to do with mac or OS X. It is a Parallels / Uniden issue.

However you can still use Sentinel with Parallels. You will just need to use a card reader to program the MicroSd card instead of using the Uniden radio directly.

VMWare doesn't have this USB issue.

There are a lot of uninformed here who think that Macs corrupt SDCards which isn't true. It is a Parallels / Uniden USB driver/ firmware issue and has nothing to do with OS X.

Apparently I spoke too soon. Hooked up my 436 last night and it refused to read the card.. When I went to eject the 436 I got an error saying Windows could not eject it because it's being used by another program. This needs some serious investigation because it worked quite well at first. I do not think it is a Uniden issue any longer.. Something is opening when the scanner is connected and I need to know what it is. I checked finder in the Mac side and the scanner does not show up.. I set Fusion for maximum isolation as well, not even allowing for drag and drop. We will see!

PhillyPhoto

Have you tried looking in the Disk Utility on the Mac to see if it's popping up in there at all? It may show up, but not actually mount the drive.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I checked the Disk Utility,nothing. Apparently there is something locking up the scanner, and therefore it cannot be read. When I hit eject BCD436, after about five minutes, a box pops up telling me it cannot be ejected because a program is using it. Can't find that program. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.