Mac, Parallels, CalDigit TS4 and Windows issue with multiple USB Ports

N9JIG

Sheriff
Took me a while to figure this mess out! I use an M1 MacBook Pro, with Parallels to run Windows 11 and a CalDigit TS4 dock. I wanted to consolidate my ProScan/Pro96Com/Butel etc programs on this computer as it is my daily driver and I can then eliminate the Windows computer from my desk. Everything worked great until I connected the 4th (of 8) scanner to the 13-port hub I had been using on the Windows computer.

I figured maybe I had an issue with the hub so I pulled another out of the garage and the exact same thing happened The only ports that worked were the first 3, none of the others did. At first I thought it was an issue with Parallels but nothing I could find on their site seemed to support that. I then looked at the CalDigit Support site and viola! It appears that the USB-A ports only support a set amount of ports on hubs. They suggested that I use one of the USB-C ports instead. So I dug out a USB-A to USB-C adapter and plugged into a USB-C port on the TS4 and it worked just fine.

One thing I have not yet been able to get to work on the ARM version of Windows is the modified USB-1 cables I have been using, connected to the rear serial ports of the 536's and 996's. While they work fine in Windows 11 on an Intel chip they do not seem to work on an ARM computer. The drivers just will not load and they identify in Device Manager as a "USB-Serial Controller D". I cannot find a driver to work with that in the ARM version of Windows 11. This makes cable management a bit trickier as I need to use the front USB port instead of the rear Serial Port. This also negates the ability to use my BCD996XT as it does not have a USB port on the front, the 996P2 works just fine however.

So if anyone has got the (newer version) of the USB-1 cable to work with the ARM version of Windows 11 please let me know!