MACOM Adds new users to SLERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
MACOM, who controls the SLERS, has announced it has added 10 additonal non-state users to the system. They range from city, county and even the CSX railroad police and the Internal Revenue Service Investigations Unit. Many people believe the state owns the systems, but the contract gives MACOM control and they receive income from other users.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I like the quote from the Tyco Electronics director of Florida Sales where he says "SLERS provides Florida's law enforcement officers and emergency responders with the most reliable means of interoperable communication available during emergency situations."

What a bunch of crap. Go talk to the LEO's that are on the receiving end of a silent HT and see if they feel the same way.

n4dog

The Florida Capitol Police can not even use their HT's inside the Capitol. I know from talking with a officer I know he says he can not stand the radios.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
To be totally fair about it, put the blame where it belongs.

The engineers can design and provide a system that gives full coverage in every place it's needed.

But the bean counters don't want to spend THAT much money. It would be considerably
more expensive than the current system price as the number of sites would have to
be considerably higher.

Florida shouldn't be relying on 800 MHz for long range communications anyway. 800 is
short range, best suited for the concrete jungle. Florida's statewide system, assuming
you buy into the BS idea that we even actually NEED one, should be VHF or, better yet,
VHF LOW BAND as its range and coverage is more in line with the needs for a statewide
system with a REASONABLE number of sites.

The salesdroids persuade the buyers that 800, being a bigger number than 450 or 150,
must be a better type of system to get. In actuality, it IS, for the salesdroids, because
they get to sell more sites to get the same coverage. 800 systems cost more money
and need more site equipment than comparable performing VHF or UHF systems.

But, of course, if an engineer or someone who is genuinely knowledgeable about RF is
part of a team that selects what system to buy, and mentions these FACTS, he'll most
likely be told he's "not a team player" and sent back to his laboratory.

The people best qualified to decide what's best for the job are rarely involved in the
selection of it.

Elroy

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
So is the blame on the bean counters or the saledroids? I say both.

The salesdroids for pushing a system that isn't adequately implented AND the bean counters/buyers for falling for the sales pitch and not doing the proper research.

If only we could get the media to inform Floridians of this colossal waste of money. That would actually be NEWSWORTHY unlike the constant Britney updates, etc., etc....

PJAY15

Something I wonder about. With all the looming "budget cuts' due to the recently passed tax cuts..how will that affect agencies that want to upgrade thier systems? Will we see more buy into SLERS?

dmh77yy

Virginia is in the process of building a state wide VHF system to be used by State Police and other state agencies. Why does a highway patrol in FL need an 800 system, they aren't in downtown buildings, even if they are sometimes in urban areas they should be equipped with a mobile extender like many other state patrol type agencies are. Total waste of money.

wise871

Database Admin
PJAY15 said:
Something I wonder about. With all the looming "budget cuts' due to the recently passed tax cuts..how will that affect agencies that want to upgrade thier systems? Will we see more buy into SLERS?

I asked that question a few post back. I would hate to be a state, county or city employee right now in Florida with the upcoming tax cuts. Departments are already jumping through hoops trying to figure out what to do since there spending budget has been cut. Many agencies will have to combine departments and lay-off employees to included police and fire. If I was a county employee and I found out my job was cut due to funding but they went ahead and spent millions on upgrading there radios to the SLER system, I would be pissed.

I believe the state contributes to the funding of these radios but there budget is cut also. I know Okaloosa EMS has moved over to the new system. The Sheriff’s Office and Fire is next. I’m not sure if the budget cuts will play a factor in this or not since the decision to move over was based on pre-budget cut spending.

wise871

Database Admin
Here is some interesting information. If you notice, the Third party list hasn't changed in over a year. What happened to all those departments jumping on board. As far as funding is concerned, looks like M/A-COM got the better part of the deal.

***Funding
The public/private partnership for the Statewide Law Enforcement Radio System (SLERS) has a unique funding strategy. For providing the services in the contract, M/A-COM was paid a $40 million advance payment. In addition, the company receives the ongoing proceeds from a motor vehicle and vessel registration surcharge (approximately $15-$18 million annually) less certain stipulated expenses incurred by the State. This revenue stream to M/A-COM provides the system infrastructure (towers, antennas, system equipment, system maintenance, radio consoles for dispatch) and 800 MHz service.

In return for the conveyance of various State tower and tower site assets, M/A-COM extended $25.5 million in credits to the State for radios and accessories. In addition to these credits, M/A-COM provided credits equal to like-for-like replacements for 6,000 radios formerly used by the State.

The M/A-COM contract provides for revenue sharing in two ways:

For the initial term of the contract (20 years), the State receives 15% of all net revenues received from third-party tenants on towers conveyed to M/A-COM from the State. After the initial term, the State receives 50% of all net revenues received from third-party tenants on towers conveyed to M/A-COM from the State for an additional 30 years.
For any third-party subscribers of the radio system, the State receives 5% of the gross revenue.
Joint Task Force agencies must provide radios for their users and the remaining dispatch center facilities, equipment, and expenses. There is no charge to the Joint Task Force agencies for use of the system.

***Third-Party Subscribers
As of March 2007, there are nine approved SLERS third-party subscribers:

Baker County Sheriff's Office
Broward County Emergency Management Agency (interoperability)
CSX Railroad Police
Franklin County Sheriff's Office
Glades County Sheriff's Office
Gulf County's Sheriff's Office, Emergency Medical Service and Port St. Joe Police Department
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office (interoperability)
Okaloosa County
Social Security Administration's Office of Investigations in Florida
Sumter County Sheriff's Office (interoperability)
Union County

I pulled this up also from the Greenacres, Florida City City Council meeting.
Integrate with the State's Law Enforcement Radio System (SLERS).
The City determined there were interoperability complications between Dispatch and maintaining seamless interoperability within the County and other law enforcement and fire rescue providers. Although it could be achieved, the City would be the only one using this system and was therefore, discouraged from trying to resolve the interoperability issues.

gcr33

dmh77yy said:
Virginia is in the process of building a state wide VHF system to be used by State Police and other state agencies. Why does a highway patrol in FL need an 800 system, they aren't in downtown buildings, even if they are sometimes in urban areas they should be equipped with a mobile extender like many other state patrol type agencies are. Total waste of money.

There were not enough VHF or UHF channels statewide that were available. 800 is the standard in the state of Florida. More agencies are on it than any other band. I don't understand your reasoning for saying why should they be on 800? Do you want them back on low band? Of course with the tinker toy ma-crap system they would be better off.
SLERS = junk. The Motorola system they had and owned outright was never designed by the state for portable use but it worked. The reason some agencies are going on it is that they cannot be heard with a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.