• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Macom bml 161 67/72 with control head

Status
Not open for further replies.

claman5

Hello,
I need help with the Dip Switch Settings for the BML161 67/72 macom evc to a KRY1011632/14 control head. I have all the cables but feel intimidated with the Manual instructions. Can some please help me with the correct settings.
Thanks .

DisasterGuy

The DIP settings depend on several things including if you will be using ignition sense, radio model, etc. I will make the following assumptions: NOT using ignition sense, radio is NOT an MRK, charge rate is RAPID.

SW 1 OFF
SW 2 ON
SW 3 OFF
SW 4 OFF
SW 5 OFF
SW 6 ON
SW 7 ON
SW 8 OFF

claman5

Macom bml 161 67/72EVC with control head

Hello,
Yes I am "NOT using ignition sense, radio is NOT an MRK, charge rate is RAPID".
I set all the switches the way you suggested and the EVC power on the opt. speaker is controlled by the radio vol. control, the control head powers up with just a flash of pad and screen lights. I have tried several other settings but nothing better than the first. HELP!
Thanks Bill

claman5

Yes, "the control head just flashes on for a second and then off?"
I can turn the EVC power off and on and each time the control head just flashes on for a second and then off again.
Thanks

mm

Are you testing with a bench power supply or in your vehicle?

The charger requires at least 3 amps, with less than 3 amp supplied current I have seen the internal regulators sag and the unit shuts down.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
One thing to take note, older revisions of the control head to EVC cable didn't short pins 12 and 13 together at the EVC end. Pin 13 is the RS485 Enable pin and needs to go to ground for the radio to be able to communicate with the control head. I've run into that a number of times on cables that don't have that pin and the control head will just briefly blink on and the radios display will either go blank, the second line will go blank, or it will go into a boot loop.

claman5

I am legally blind and will have some difficulties getting into the DB25 or the EVC to short pins 12 and 13 together at the EVC end of the 19B802554P20 cable that I got. Should the RPM1132864/2 cable have the pin shorted?? What will be my easiest fix?? I have two of these that I am working on.
Should I try a higher amp power supply first? That sounds easy!
Thanks

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The 19B802554P20 cable is the OLD style, and does NOT short the pin properly. You will need to either short the pin internally in the EVC (put a jumper between the pins on the solder side of the board) or get creative with installing a pin in the blank spot and wire-wrapping them together.

The late-model RPM 113 2864/2 cable does have pin 13 populated and connected to ground. It took a few hours beating my head on the desk before an email to Harris resolved it. He sent me a nice schematic of each cable and explained the difference. Apparently the first generations of the EVC shorted that pin internally, but later models left it as an option for the end user.

The power supply could be the issue, but not really likely. Unless the battery is rapid charging and pulling full load, the EVC power draw is minimal, and the control head pulls about 1.5amps with all the lights lit and full brightness.

One thing you can check, hook a speaker up to the EVC while you are testing and listen to it very closely as you dock the radio, you will actually hear the data bursts bleed into the audio PA. You will be able to hear 3-4 rapid burps of data as it tries to contact the control head, but no replies. A proper config will be generate a lot of data as the control head chats with the radio.

Hope that info helps. If i can find the PDF he sent me I will share it here, all I have is the printed copy. Usually its the opposite...

claman5

Thanks to everyone for all your help.
I will replace my old cable with two of the late-model RPM 113 2864/2 cables and see if my problem goes away.

DisasterGuy

The more I think back to the last Dual Enhanced Charger I installed, I had a similar issue with a cable that I fabricated myself using the schematic in the manual. I purchased a new cable from Harris and it worked flawlessly. I will have to dig around and see if I can find that old cable I made, short out the pins and see if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The parts book i have (dated 06/2005) Uses the same RPM number as you specified. I do know that some of the older manuals (the MRK one falls in this category too i think) don't make mention of the RS485 Enable pin at all. Not sure what exact revision number the cutoff was but it appears to be right around the transition to the RPM 11 3264/2 numbering as all the cables like that i've seen have the pin there and shorted.

claman5

Hello to the Group,
I have received the latest-model RPM 113 2864/2 cable for my control head.
After hooking it up I had about 75% link with my control head. When it worked the radio screen said " *** DUAL*** ". other times the control head said "NET FAIL"
Will the EVC only work well with certain batteries?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.