Macomb county, Michigan Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pulled my pro-197 (radio shack) digital scanner out of the closet. I was able to successfully connect and download the software for my police and nearby areas. How ever clearly not enough "chatter" going on. I understand the basics of trunked digital systems. Years ago, I was able to use this with no problem. What else am I missing now?

I am trying to get specifically:
Clinton township police
Clinton township fire
Sterling heights police
Sterling heights fire

thanks!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Also, Macomb is simulcast. If you were listening before that took effect, you scanner will probably not work as well, and needs to be updated, as mentioned by HF.

Possible problem solved. I just noticed that only 2 frequencies of the trunked group for Macomb County were programmed. I am going to manually enter all of them and go from there. Not sure why they did not all transfer. I will let you know. That is why I only heard partial chatter.

Hit_Factor

Possible problem solved. I just noticed that only 2 frequencies of the trunked group for Macomb County were programmed. I am going to manually enter all of them and go from there. Not sure why they did not all transfer. I will let you know. That is why I only heard partial chatter.
You only need the control frequencies (for Uniden scanners), can't remember what my old Pro needed.. Usually there is one (C)ontrol and 2 (A)lternates for Macomb they are 853.900 c 852.900 a 853.400 a

What were your results after entering them all?

Partial chatter could be simulcast distortion.

You only need the control frequencies (for Uniden scanners), can't remember what my old Pro needed.. Usually there is one (C)ontrol and 2 (A)lternates for Macomb they are 853.900 c 852.900 a 853.400 a

What were your results after entering them all?

Partial chatter could be simulcast distortion.
Entering all frequencis did not work either.
Correct, there are 2 frequencies that transferred over: 853.900 and 853.400 so i reverted back to the default program. still nothing.
i have the correct software using Arc500 for thr Pro197 radio shack
this same scanner worked when Macomb first started to use digital trunking.

Anything specific in the software I should be looking for? I know I should be close.

thanks Jim

All, I beileve my pro 197 from RS is obsolete for my area I am trying to listen to. Programing is not the issue. I can hear some mumbled conversations. I will be possibly looking at new ones in the future.
Thanks all for your help.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
It is not obsolete. In combination of these, try lowering your antenna even go sideways, turn on attenuation, then even remove the antenna and insert a paperclip. The Paper Clip Antenna

You'll find so often repliers in many threads love to just say get an SDS scanner to eliminate simulcast issues. Not everyone can afford $650-$700 let alone if they are available especially the SDS 100.
If you do get a new one only consider Unidens since whistlers are even worse. The pro 106-197's were models that did 'fairly well' in simulcast.

Depending on your budget if you get new and another desktop, these you'll find will do much better. Hey if one doesn't work out, send it back.
Look at the 996P2 or 546HP be sure to apply the firmware update(s) from Uniden that further helps simulcast issues besides whats in the box.
Your mileage may vary dependent on your location and the towers.

I've been in macomb a number of times, I have the older 396XT Uniden with me and it decodes digital their well.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
i have a pro 197 i run mobile with and use to monitor both washtenaw and wayne co simulcast systems with. it does "OK", in that i know what i am faced with when distorted conversations occur, but its usable. someone at my work discovered my hobby and asked if i could program their 197 for oakland county. I explained the challenges faced with the system in use there, but did what i could for him. he seemed to be pretty excited about what he could hear. I've experimented with a directional yagi on my base, to try to only receive one tower with some success. I say don't give up on the 197 just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.