Macomb county question

I’m thinking of getting a sds100 as I have been told they use simulcast?

Other then police/fire/ems, would this scanner pick up other “things” to listen to?

Im one of those guys that stays home and likes to know what going on around me. So it would be cool to listen to selfridge, or the railroads or road commission.

And this question is far fetched but can this scanner pick up the local high school football head sets that they use to talk to the coaches?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Other then police/fire/ems, would this scanner pick up other “things” to listen to?
Welcome to the RR forums:
In a nutshell & focusing on this system, the SDS100 can track anything that is ID'ed as mode "D" as these are the talkgroups "in the clear". Those ID'ed as Mode "DE" are fully encrypted and cannot be tracked by any receiver. Same goes with conventional channels. If you see the letter "E" or "e" anywhere in the mode column this indicates full or partial encryption respectively. So in other words for analog conventional channels, modes AM, FM and FMN (narrow-FM) can natively be tracked by the scanner. Also you may encounter mode "DMR" or "NXDN" and these can only be tracked (assuming no capital "E" as suffix) with paid upgrades (DMR $60.00 & NXDN $50.00). Hope this helps

1657469812396.png

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm in Ontario but use my SDS100 on MPSCS quite frequently (usually St. Clair, but sometimes Macomb). If you are wanting a scanner to monitor this system, the SDS is hands down the way to go. The only other option that isn't a commercial transceiver would be a Unication G4 or G5. They work great as well, but you are limited on options. So in a nutshell, yes the SDS radios are leaps and bounds above other scanners on simulcast systems.

freqs

I’m thinking of getting a sds100 as I have been told they use simulcast?

Im one of those guys that stays home and likes to know what going on around me. So it would be cool to listen to selfridge, or the railroads or road commission.

And this question is far fetched but can this scanner pick up the local high school football head sets that they use to talk to the coaches?

I live in Macomb Co Warren .I have several Scanners dedicated to different Targets like DPW Tow Trucks Trash Trucks Most City Serveses
Hospital Security School Busses Skywarn Taxi Cabs Stores even Wireless Mics at Churches Baby Monitors Selfridge Airbase .
All can be picked up on the SDS 100 .
The SDS100 is your best choice in Macomb Co do to the Simulcast Distortion issue .Iam not sure if the SDS 100 Can pick up the Headsets not sure what tipe radios they use low power ???

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
:mad:
There are a few Macomb County Talk-Groups that are now encrypted:

2887 b47 De 50EOC1 Emergency Operations Center 1 Emergency Ops
2888 b48 De 50EOC2 Emergency Operations Center 2 Emergency Ops
12252 2fdc DE 50MASHD Macomb County Sheriff
12566 3116 DE 50CTDB Clinton Twp Police Detective Bureau
2932 b74 DE 50SCCID St. Clair Shores Police Criminal Investigations Division
22391 5777 DE 50WRPD CID Warren Police Detectives

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
Don't be afraid to try and monitor an encrypted talkgroup. There's quite a list of marked DE talkgroups that are not full time encrypted, but are marked that way in the database.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Don't be afraid to try and monitor an encrypted talkgroup. There's quite a list of marked DE talkgroups that are not full time encrypted, but are marked that way in the database.

Which ones? Let us know in a submission and will get those fixed up and I'll throw in any of those confirmed talkgroups listed in the unknown talkgroups thread, thanks!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
That depends on the headsets in question, if they are even wireless. There is a good chance the headsets are using a proprietary digital system, which will not be able to be monitored.

Okay, I got the SDS-100 for christmas and im beyond lost lol

I have watched so may youtube videos and it still is so confusing. I'm not a computer type person, I'm a email and facebook type

I have changed the distance to 0 miles, 5 miles and 10 miles, added my zip code and Im still getting stuff from way out of the area so I'm missing out on the local stuff as the scanner is trying to pick up all this other stuff.

Is there anyone near Hall rd and romeo Plank that I could pay to program this scanner? It really is something I want to utilize but I'm way over my head

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Okay, I got the SDS-100 for christmas and im beyond lost lol

I have watched so may youtube videos and it still is so confusing. I'm not a computer type person, I'm a email and facebook type

I have changed the distance to 0 miles, 5 miles and 10 miles, added my zip code and Im still getting stuff from way out of the area so I'm missing out on the local stuff as the scanner is trying to pick up all this other stuff.

Is there anyone near Hall rd and romeo Plank that I could pay to program this scanner? It really is something I want to utilize but I'm way over my head

Are you actually programming your scanner or just using the Zip-Cod/Range method? Have you checked to see if the various services are enabled that you want to monitor? Do you have any programming software? What are you using for an antenna?

I'm about 5miles North of you near 25 Mile Rd and Romeo Plank Rd. I've been scanning this particular area for over 20 years. While I never owned a SDS100, I have own 3 SDS200's in the last several years. Currently I only own and use the BCD436HP and BCD536HP scanners which work great for me. I found the SDS series having too many shortcomings, design flaws and hardware issue for my comfort.

Our son passed away recently and I've been overwhelmed. He didn't have a will and I've been extremely busy working with banks, investment companies, HOA's, and trying to get his condo ready to sell. Maybe when things calm down I'll be able to help you more. I'll try to help you and answer any questions and make suggestions when I can.

Don't give up!

Are you actually programming your scanner or just using the Zip-Cod/Range method? Have you checked to see if the various services are enabled that you want to monitor? Do you have any programming software? What are you using for an antenna?

I'm about 5miles North of you near 25 Mile Rd and Romeo Plank Rd. I've been scanning this particular area for over 20 years. While I never owned a SDS100, I have own 3 SDS200's in the last several years. Currently I only own and use the BCD436HP and BCD536HP scanners which work great for me. I found the SDS series having too many shortcomings, design flaws and hardware issue for my comfort.

Our son passed away recently and I've been overwhelmed. He didn't have a will and I've been extremely busy working with banks, investment companies, HOA's, and trying to get his condo ready to sell. Maybe when things calm down I'll be able to help you more. I'll try to help you and answer any questions and make suggestions when I can.

Don't give up!
Sorry to hear about your Son! Thanks for the offer, I will keep trying to figure this out, you have your hands full and need to focus on your family!

Thank you for reaching out

rivermersey

Premium Subscriber
Just program the scanner (create a favorites list) for Macomb County using the Sentinel Software. Frequencies are listed on Radio Reference. Then when you scan, just scan Macomb County on your favorites list, which will eliminate much of the other junk you are picking up. However, the Macomb County system will pick up Detroit, and St. Clair County talkgroups. You can easily lock them out using the Avoid key. The State Police are also on there, but I would leave them active.

rivermersey

Premium Subscriber
Just program the scanner (create a favorites list) for Macomb County using the Sentinel Software. Frequencies are listed on Radio Reference. Then when you scan, just scan Macomb County on your favorites list, which will eliminate much of the other junk you are picking up. However, the Macomb County system will pick up Detroit, and St. Clair County talkgroups. You can easily lock them out using the Avoid key. The State Police are also on there, but I would leave them active.
Also a dozen ambulance companies.