macomb county simulcast questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

313RADIO

trying to understand the way the simulcast system works.
RR says it is a Ten-site simulcast system, however fcc info for WQEH218 shows only 6 locations. Any ideas which is right?
I believe each tower broadcast the exact same data on the exact same frequencies all at the same time, is this right?
when the scanners receive transmissions are they 'locking in' on a certain tower or does it just receive multiple signals on the same frequency at the same time.
I would like to point my yagi at the strongest tower, looking at the fcc map, I am kinda in the middle, Is there a way i can tell which one comes in the strongest when I spin it around?
Thanks folks

btw my radio is a pro-2096 just picked it up today
sale is 100 off = 400, with new R.S credit card 10% off = 360$. I see them used on ebay for that much. I had to goto 3 stores until I found one that was 'NEW' not returned or floor model though.

mikey60

KD8EYF said:
trying to understand the way the simulcast system works.
RR says it is a Ten-site simulcast system, however fcc info for WQEH218 shows only 6 locations. Any ideas which is right?

There is another license for the State of Michigan that has the rest of the sites in it.

KD8EYF said:
I believe each tower broadcast the exact same data on the exact same frequencies all at the same time, is this right?

Correct.

KD8EYF said:
when the scanners receive transmissions are they 'locking in' on a certain tower or does it just receive multiple signals on the same frequency at the same time.

In a perfect world, the radio would pick up the strongest signal. In reality, even a slight movement of the radio, antenna, or objects near the radio will effect the radio signals reaching the radio. Other factors such as trees and buildings can also affect the signals.

One of the issues with simulcast systems on digital is the time differences between the different signals. The radio is getting signals from all of the nearby towers, as well and any multi-path signals that bounce from other objects like buildings. The radios try to decode that, with varying levels of success.

KD8EYF said:
I would like to point my yagi at the strongest tower, looking at the fcc map, I am kinda in the middle, Is there a way i can tell which one comes in the strongest when I spin it around?

I would take a slightly different tack on that. I would try to point the antenna at the nearest site that will reduce as much signal from any other sites as possible (especially if pointing the antenna at a site will be close to another site.)

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.