Macomb mock water rescue drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusg

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061012/METRO03/610120375/1014

Seitz said the only major problem officials encountered during the exercise involved communication with the Coast Guard helicopter that was looking to retrieve the pilots. The various agencies had to meet at a designated command post to handle communications with their personnel due to the different radio systems used by each.
Harrison Twp FD were on 460.15, Macomb Co. MA. Everything had to be relayed through the Marine Division boats.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
seamusg said:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061012/METRO03/610120375/1014

Seitz said the only major problem officials encountered during the exercise involved communication with the Coast Guard helicopter that was looking to retrieve the pilots.

Do you know if the problem was operator error, or equipment incompatibility? It would be unsettling to find out after all these years with the Coast Guard and Selfridge being so tight, that they just now realized they're not "on the same channel"!

seamusg

GreatLakes said:
Do you know if the problem was operator error, or equipment incompatibility? It would be unsettling to find out after all these years with the Coast Guard and Selfridge being so tight, that they just now realized they're not "on the same channel"!
Per the Macomb Daily and from what I heard the trouble was coms with the CG helos. Only the Marine Division has Marine radios, and it was trouble getting meet information to the EMS. It sounded like a normal rescue, from what I've heard in the past, EMS always has a problem setting up a meeting place since they can't talk directly to the Coast Guard and always have to go through the Marine Division for relay. Also heard a new callsign on Macomb MA channel "Marine 1", don't know this was, the Macomb Marine Division boats are PB1, PB2 etc.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
seamusg said:
Per the Macomb Daily and from what I heard the trouble was coms with the CG helos. Only the Marine Division has Marine radios, and it was trouble getting meet information to the EMS. It sounded like a normal rescue, from what I've heard in the past, EMS always has a problem setting up a meeting place since they can't talk directly to the Coast Guard and always have to go through the Marine Division for relay. Also heard a new callsign on Macomb MA channel "Marine 1", don't know this was, the Macomb Marine Division boats are PB1, PB2 etc.

You would think any EMS units that work in a coastal marine area would be allowed to have marine radios to be used in such an emergency. Just another example of some of our stupid laws that need to be reviewed, and updated.

I wonder if "Marine 1" could be that big new boat that the Macomb County Sheriff bought?

seamusg

tutakt said:
What happened to the MPSCS radios the Coast Guard used during the Super Bowl?
Macomb co. is not on the new system untill next month. The radios used during the Super Bowl were DHS, just because the head of DHS is also the head of USCG does not mean they use the same radios. USCG was on Marine band and Harrison FD was on Macomb co. MA.

tutakt

Good points. I knew that many EMS providers already have the new radios but forgot that they are not using the new system yet.

I shouldn't be so critical. The reason for exercises is to learn what is not working so things can get fixed.

seamusg

Thanks, I've never heard Marine 1 before, but have always heard the PB-?. They said in the Macomb Daily the new boat was PB1, in the news announcement for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.