Macomb Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8zcc

I programmed in the control channels for Macomb's simulcast system, first time I've tried to listen to it. I am getting a reasonable signal but no hits. Is the system being used?

Bob

n8zcc

What Tower Freq did you use as of my post it is on 868.9875

I put in: 868.9875 and 868.2625

Based on your post it must be running. I guess I don't have as good of a signal as I thought. I'm not that far from tower 219-7 and 219-8, in fact I'm in between them to the west. I'm almost under the Romeo tower.

Thanks for responding.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
According to your callsign you are up near the Waterford area??? Good luck on getting much off that system unless you are in the county. I live down near 9 + Woodward and can barely get it, but yet I can get the Washtenaw sim with no issues. Not sure how the state figures out the RF footprint on these systems. Not sure what scanner you are using but the GRE COM scanners have a trunking analyze feature which gives you an actual percent of how well you are picking up the control channel. Sometimes when you are listening, it sounds like a solid signal but its actually not.

Also i dont think the Romeo tower is part of the simulcast. So if I understand the MPSCS setup correctly, I do not think you will hear much off of that tower with the sim radios, unless there is a radio that for some reason cant affiliate with the sim system, in which case it would switch over to the closest non-sim tower, which would likely be Romeo. Someone correct me if im wrong through.

I put in: 868.9875 and 868.2625

Based on your post it must be running. I guess I don't have as good of a signal as I thought. I'm not that far from tower 219-7 and 219-8, in fact I'm in between them to the west. I'm almost under the Romeo tower.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

n8zcc

According to your callsign you are up near the Waterford area??? Good luck on getting much off that system unless you are in the county. I live down near 9 + Woodward and can barely get it, but yet I can get the Washtenaw sim with no issues. Not sure how the state figures out the RF footprint on these systems. Not sure what scanner you are using but the GRE COM scanners have a trunking analyze feature which gives you an actual percent of how well you are picking up the control channel. Sometimes when you are listening, it sounds like a solid signal but its actually not.

Also i dont think the Romeo tower is part of the simulcast. So if I understand the MPSCS setup correctly, I do not think you will hear much off of that tower with the sim radios, unless there is a radio that for some reason cant affiliate with the sim system, in which case it would switch over to the closest non-sim tower, which would likely be Romeo. Someone correct me if im wrong through.

Don't know what service you used to look up my call but it is wrong. Use QRZ.com, I'm near 32 mile and Rochester. Like I said, I'm almost under the Romeo tower and almost in between two of the Macomb simulcast towers.

I get three bars of signal strength on the simulcast system but no hits. I'll have to take the scanner with me next time I head over to Romeo to see if that will make a difference.

freqs

Good luck I get full bars in Warren and I have to move the Scanner around to get the best reception .I found 1 spot near the front window works best .Now my Dad lives at Auburn and Dequindre and the Macomb tower I get 3 plus bars and scratchy hits .The Romeo Tower works great at his house. Its all location for sure .This is using my 106

313RADIO

are you hearing ANY transmissions at all? its should be breaking the squelch at a minimum.
not sure what radio but perhaps the wildcard talkgroup is not created or enabled?

n8zcc

are you hearing ANY transmissions at all? its should be breaking the squelch at a minimum.
not sure what radio but perhaps the wildcard talkgroup is not created or enabled?

It is a PRO-106 and yes, I have a wildcard talk group enabled. The scanner doesn't stop scanning but I'm showing three bars of signal strength on the control channel. Like I said, I'll have to head over towards Romeo and see if that makes a difference. The radio is working well with the MSPSCS towers I have programmed in as well as with Ohio's state wide system.

BYW, what is on the Macomb Simulcast system?, Anything I am not hearing on the Romeo MSPSCS tower?

313RADIO

Strange.. Maybe the wildcard group is locked out?
When I get home I'll post the top talk groups for macomb county simulcast give u and idea what your missing .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

n8zcc

Call me dumb as a box of rocks.

I looked over the list of talk groups from the Macomb Simulcast system and the talk groups I checked (albeit not all TGs) are the same as the ones on the MPSCS system.

Can some one explain to me the purpose and benefit of a simulcast system? Does a simulcast system carry different traffic than the MPSCS tower? If so, why?

Thanks

313RADIO

simulcast is basically a bunch of towers in different locations spread out transmitting the EXACT same thing all the time. It appears to the radio just like a single site, or single tower within the MPSCS, even though there are 5(?) towers in macomb county.

n8zcc

simulcast is basically a bunch of towers in different locations spread out transmitting the EXACT same thing all the time. It appears to the radio just like a single site, or single tower within the MPSCS, even though there are 5(?) towers in macomb county.

Why do this? Is it an attempt to get better coverage?

Why do this? Is it an attempt to get better coverage?
Here you go:

Simulcast refers to the process of transmitting the same signal from multiple sites on the same frequency at the same time.
For public safety communications, this typically means multiple towers configured to transmit the exact same communications, on the exact same frequencies, at precisely the same time, resulting in much better coverage of a wide area or area with dense population/buildings. Such systems must use some form of very precise timing to synchronize their multiple transmitters, or interference can result from mis-timed signals destructively mixing in a subscriber radio's receiver.
Simulcast is not analagous to multiple site wide area networked trunking systems that use different frequencies at each site, however simulcast "cells" (several sites operating as one in a simulcast configuration) can be implemented in such systems.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
That is a nice program. I did notice some interesting talkgroups. I have to ask why would Livingston County Fire Dispatch or Hamtramck PD Dispatch be on the Macomb system?

313RADIO

my guess is a user with a radio on that talkgroup has moved to an area where the is better coverage by macomb. My friend who works for DPD tell me he takes his radio home every night. Something else i noticed is a barrage of affiliation denials from DPD 7xxxxxx series radio ID's. there are alot almost 1 a minute. I dont know why certian radios are allowed to affilate on other towers and some radios are not, but its all by design.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Well i do know for a fact that the MPSCS does not allow DPD/DFD radios to use any towers outside of the Detorit Simulcast.

my guess is a user with a radio on that talkgroup has moved to an area where the is better coverage by macomb. My friend who works for DPD tell me he takes his radio home every night. Something else i noticed is a barrage of affiliation denials from DPD 7xxxxxx series radio ID's. there are alot almost 1 a minute. I dont know why certian radios are allowed to affilate on other towers and some radios are not, but its all by design.

313RADIO

yeah. but why ? can they switch over to a different channel if needed? what happend if they had to chase someone out of the city? i have seen 2 dpd traffic cars flying north on gratiot /12 mile at very high speed. crazy to think they would be out of radio range

mikey60

The number of talkgroups in use in Detroit would easily overwhelm the surrounding sites if they were allowed on those tower sites. That's why they don't allow the standard talkgroups to affiliate on those towers.

Now if an office presses the emergency button, or switches to a statewide talkgroup, then they will be able to use other towers. I've seen affiliations on DPD talkgroups when the emergency button had been pressed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dispatchers have some control of that as well. (They could always patch the talkgroup into a statewide TG).

Mike

netfire

Im at 32 Mile and Van Dyke. I have a hard time with the Macomb system. The Romeo tower has been on the Aux freq for some time. 868.5125.....

Status
Not open for further replies.