Macon County assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodrocker

Premium Subscriber
i'm new to the digital radio programming. I live in macon county and I'm having trouble setting up my radio to receive traffic. I took radio to Davis and they couldnt do anything cause it isn't a radio they normally work with. It is a Baofeng RD-5R. It is a digital radio. I have the software and everything. Thanks for any help on this.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
I guess it is how one defines cheap. Might be able to pick up a Radio Shack Pro 106 or Pro 197 or a GRE 500 use fairly reasonable. Mine were ok on VHF which is what RR shows all of Macon Co using, mixture of Analog and Digital.

nodrocker

Premium Subscriber
I guess it is how one defines cheap. Might be able to pick up a Radio Shack Pro 106 or Pro 197 or a GRE 500 use fairly reasonable. Mine were ok on VHF which is what RR shows all of Macon Co using, mixture of Analog and Digital.
The radio I have is digital I just don’t know how to set it up. That is what I’m needing help with.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
As noted by another posting here it appears from what I can find on this radio it will decode DMR but not P25. Bottom line this radio will not properly receive the public safety channels in Macon county. All you will hear is static. If not too late maybe you can return it?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
As an owner and user of the Radioddity/Baofeng RD-5R, it will do Analog, and DMR. It WILL NOT do APCO Project 25 (P25). Thank God! Being as easy as this radio is to program, they are not scanners. Yes they can scan, but they are not scanners. They are actual commercial radios. Unless you program them correctly you can interfere with actual users of the frequencies you put in them. By your replies, you need to learn a lot more about digital, and scanning in general. There are many different formats from NXDN, to DMR, to P25, to OpenSKY, etc.... And a LOT of differences between radios, and scanners. Not being an Ahole, but you need to learn a lot more about the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.