Macon, GA - Bibb radio system on last legs; cash to replace it hard to come by

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILMRadioMan

I have seen numerous systems built without the requirement to dismantle or give back the old system.

I have seen systems traded in.

As was said, most of the time, its up to the customer.

Last edited:

iamhere300

It's not supported by Motherola anymore. Now, get this - when a jurisdiction upgrades an 800 MHz system from analog to P25, Motherola demands one of two things - either return the old equipment to them or destroy it. No if's, and;s or but's about it! I questioned one of our jurisdictions about selling or giving their old 800 MHz analog system to other jurisdictions that need the parts and that is the explanation I was given.

I came into this one kind of late, but I got to throw the BS flag on this also.

While that may have been told to you, it is NO requirement from Motorola, nor is it standard practice.

If that jurisdiction had negotiated a trade in - then it was in their best interest to ensure that all their radios were turned in.

Premium Subscriber
hey guys b7 is not blowing smoke as that pitch of if you trade up destroy your equipment is a standard pitch by the Moto sales group in his neck of the woods( I know exactly who your talking about :wink:)
Not standard everywhere by any means but they push that hard around hotlanta..and it's cost them a couple of contracts.
Macon Bibb is in a tight spot because there is no money in the state right now to spend and SPLOST(special option sales tax) is going to be a hard sell.
Unless the grant dollars come back it's back to VHF...might see more of that if the economy stays down.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
What do you mean?

With the same equipment, or just on the same channel?

Same type system. i.e. CHP has been operating on their low band system for how many decades? All they have done is upgraded the equipment, but are still working quite well without being TRS or digital.

iamhere300

hey guys b7 is not blowing smoke as that pitch of if you trade up destroy your equipment is a standard pitch by the Moto sales group in his neck of the woods( I know exactly who your talking about :wink:)
Not standard everywhere by any means but they push that hard around hotlanta..and it's cost them a couple of contracts.
Macon Bibb is in a tight spot because there is no money in the state right now to spend and SPLOST(special option sales tax) is going to be a hard sell.
Unless the grant dollars come back it's back to VHF...might see more of that if the economy stays down.

Smoke is blowing strong over here. While there may be a salespuke or two who try this, it is NOT standard Motorola practice as he stated, nor is it required.

All they have to do is not agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.