Macon, GA - Bibb radio system on last legs; cash to replace it hard to come by

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
"Bibb County Chief Deputy David Davis compares the 800-megahertz radio system, now about 11 years old, to a light bulb that’s clearly on its last legs."

its only 11 years old and it is falling apart???

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
It's not supported by Motherola anymore. Now, get this - when a jurisdiction upgrades an 800 MHz system from analog to P25, Motherola demands one of two things - either return the old equipment to them or destroy it. No if's, and;s or but's about it! I questioned one of our jurisdictions about selling or giving their old 800 MHz analog system to other jurisdictions that need the parts and that is the explanation I was given.

W6KRU

It's not supported by Motherola anymore. Now, get this - when a jurisdiction upgrades an 800 MHz system from analog to P25, Motherola demands one of two things - either return the old equipment to them or destroy it. No if's, and;s or but's about it! I questioned one of our jurisdictions about selling or giving their old 800 MHz analog system to other jurisdictions that need the parts and that is the explanation I was given.

Not surprising. I work in the computer network trade and one of the largest vendors (Cisco) offers a pretty decent tradein program. Never mind that the price of the new equipment is priced with the tradein in it's price. Would you rather have someone buy a piece of equipment that satisfies their needs at a reasonable price with no benefit to you or pay you the inflated price for the new equipment which generates income for your company?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Who says you have to go Motorola,(especially now that Harris is in the game) I doubt that would fly if they were told that their bid would not be entertained if they kept that (returning the equipment) in it. But that takes some balls on the part of purchasing, who doesn't have the technical knowledge to call their bluff. I would just make it part of my RFP that ALL old equipment remains property of the agency, to dispose of as the agency sees fit. Right fully so,it's their (the taxpayers) equipment, and they should be able to get the most out of it or donate or ebay it if they want to.

N

N_Jay

This is not true.

It may have been part of the contract they signed, but it is far from a universal requirement.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
This is not true.

It may have been part of the contract they signed, but it is far from a universal requirement.

Call your local jurisdiction that upgraded, here in the Metro Atlanta area, Cobb, DeKalb and Gwinnett Counties all were given the same shpeel!

N

N_Jay

Call your local jurisdiction that upgraded, here in the Metro Atlanta area, Cobb, DeKalb and Gwinnett Counties all were given the same shpeel!

How many times have YOU heard it first hand, vs. how many times have you been told it second hand?

I don't know how bad they are at negotiations, but I have NEVER had it come up EVER.

(I have had specific trade-in programs, but they were always clearly understood.)

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Well, since I talked with the people who are involved, including 1 of the county commissioners, in the decisions, I would say 3 out of 3?

N

N_Jay

Well, since I talked with the people who are involved, including 1 of the county commissioners, in the decisions, I would say 3 out of 3?

Sounds like your commissioners don't know how to negotiate or (more likely) were poorly informed by the people working the deal.

Usually all the issues are worked out well below that level, and the commissioners are explained "at the fifth grade level" to get their signature.

Sorry, if I consider the commissioners "second hand news". That has been my experiance.

Last edited:

radiofan1

Once upon a time I destroyed a lot of UHF radios that worked fine after the 800 install, and it was part of the contract.

N

N_Jay

Once upon a time I destroyed a lot of UHF radios that worked fine after the 800 install, and it was part of the contract.

Once upon a time,. Motorola had a standard "Trade-in" value for lots of equipment. Some of it had to be shipped back, and some was disposed of locally (or destroyed as required).

Now, trade in programs are a lot more selective, and usually not a good deal for the agency.

As for wholesale rules, I have not seen them ever.

Heck, I just had a Moto team tell me that we could do better selling it ourselves.

W6KRU

Once upon a time,. Motorola had a standard "Trade-in" value for lots of equipment. Some of it had to be shipped back, and some was disposed of locally (or destroyed as required).

Cisco did the same thing with network equipment. The vendors don't sell as much new equipment if the perspective customer can buy used equipment off of ebay instead.

xmo

"...City officials predict a replacement will cost $6 million to $12 million, and they don’t know where the money would come from..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will never understand these government entities. If they buy a new cruiser for the S.O. or P.D. they have a policy and budget plan to replace it after so many years and/or miles but they will buy a multi-million dollar radio system asset and just forget about it until it's ready to drop dead - then all of a sudden it's a big shock - OMG - where do we get the money?

In this case the equipment was used for the 1996 Olympics so it was manufactured in 1995 and is going on to 15 years old regardless of the fact that they have had it in service for only 11 years. Why is that any different from buying a used car? You still need to understand the life expectancy. 15 years of life for a radio system isn't unreasonable.

They should already have a plan for their next system. The problem is that too many government agencies out-source all their support and don't have anyone with communications system expertise on staff to rely on for guidance.

Actually, they don't have to buy an entire new system all at once. An incremental migration to the next generation system is the sensible plan.

They no doubt have Quantar base stations. Motorola has committed support for those through 2018. Their real problem is obsolete system controllers. Those can be replaced now and the RF sites can be retained along with the mobiles and portables.

As far as Motorola insisting on having the old equipment - they have been offering substantial trade-in discounts on system upgrade orders. If a customer signs an order with those discounts - then Motorola gets the old gear - they own it - no different than trading in your F150 in at the local Ford dealer.

If you skip the trade-in - your assets are your property to do with as you please - Motorola has no claim to them.

mjbjr

The local pd is all digital now,but the SO is still on its analog system. According to a deputy,they are gonna swap over early this year.We will see......

N0YFE

Contracts

When the write the contracts they look at the trade in value that the vendor will give them vs what it will cost to pull, sell, or repair the equipment themselves. I can make a guess that overall it's easier to just let the vendor take everything back on a trade in.

The whole issue is written in the contract and it's not up to M or any one else because the simple answer is the customer reviews the contract and prices and decides for themselves what route they wish to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.