Macon, GA - New Macon-Bibb radio components coming online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
“Some other counties have already talked to us about coming onto this system here. The horizon’s very broad as far as what we can do with this system,” Davis said.

I have a feeling this P25 TRS, is going to expand into a new regional radio system. What do you think?

73's

Ron

lep

There is already a 6 county regional radio system, SEGARRN. Why create another? Why not just hook them together?

The original concept, as I understand it, was to cover I-95 SC to FL and I-16 Savannah to Macon. The I-95 segment is now operational and with Bulloch county coming on line this month, I-16 now has coverage from Savannah to Statesboro.

[www.segarrn.chathamcounty.org]

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I've been asking this question for four years now and have various answers ranging from "it's sitting in a warehouse" to "it was a demo" yet the SAFECOM grant paid for the network core and several sites, it was a matching grant as we many flowing back in the 2004-2005 time frame.

It was apparently up long enough for TG's and system info to appear right here on the RR database. It was a Motorola Astro 25 9600 baud digital simulcast system.

Apparently Macon ran out of funds to replace their fleet of current MTS2000 and XTS3000 portables to use on the shiny new system so it was shelved.

I just can't figure out why NOT dust it off, upgrade it to the most current system release, and interconnect it with SEGARREN? Why oh why would you put out an RFP/RFQ for an ENTIRELY NEW network?

Why isn't the Macon media probing into this obvious waste/fraud/abuse of Federal taxpayer money? WHERE IS that equipment (the physical hardware, you know, the site controllers, prime site hardware, routers, switches- the Astro 25 network core and all the associated site hardware like repeaters, combiners, receiver multicouplers...anyone take inventory around those parts?) today?

Was it sold at auction? Donated to another agency? Sold on Govdeals? Stolen? Destroyed by fire, flood, or other natural disaster? Given back to the vendor? Turn to dust?

Anyone? Bueller...Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.