Macro Lens - Canon mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

My wife is starting to get serious about photography, mostly macros and landscapes plus taking photos of our cats. They can be seen here: Photos by Sabrina & Co

Based on this I am thinking of surprising her with a new lens to add to her stock 18-55mm kit lens. Based on what she likes to photograph am I better to go with a macro lens in the 60 - 100mm range or a 55-20mm telephoto lens?

Paul

rbm

You didn't mention what your budget is ....

But ....

This lens:

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens
Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras: CANON: Camera & Photo

Took this photo:

Is that macro enough for you?
The close focus is: (Minimum Focus Distance 4.92' (1.5 m) )

That one works great for me.
I consider it to be my 'standard lens'.

Rich

Edit: And at the other end of the spectrum, a pair of Red Tailed hawks at 150 meters. (heavily cropped)

Last edited:

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
I shoot Nikon so I can't give you specs on which exact lens to buy but generally it will depend on exactly she want to shoot.

50mm f2.8 Macro can get you shots like this:

Very close focus and 1:1 reproduction.

Macro adaptor rings can turn her 18-55 into a very close range Macro lens for very little money. I have not shot anything yet with the set my daughter gave me last fall for examples.

For landscapes how panoramic is she looking for? I generally shoot with either my 70-210 f2.8 or my 170 -500 f 5.6/6.3 for things at distance.

For wide angle close ups a 10-20 is great.

pb_lonny

Thanks for the replies. Budget will be around $600 max. She is happy enough with the kit lens but would like better macro and close up ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.