made a dipole today

Status
Not open for further replies.

psdavidson

I work out of town a lot so i built this dipole antenna today. I have it in our crew house now and i didnt bolt it together so i can take it apart to transport it for long hotel stays. Im hitting sheriff dispatch 20 miles away over two mountains while indoors. I'm sure there has to be a repeater somewhere in there.
the rubber ducky antenna wouldn't even get static.

Attachments

• 2014-01-13 19.15.28.jpg
    2014-01-13 19.15.28.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 883

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
Looks nice, I love how simple these things are and how affective they can be.

I've seen people connect the balun on the copper and on the CPVC "T" fitting (through the CPVC into the copper). Some say that having the connections too far apart is bad, and others say it doesn't matter. It seams to be working for you just fine though.

I'm going to make one out of 3/4" copper and one out of 1/2" copper and see what does what. I've got all the supplies on hand, now I need the time.

psdavidson

Looks nice, I love how simple these things are and how affective they can be.

I've seen people connect the balun on the copper and on the CPVC "T" fitting (through the CPVC into the copper). Some say that having the connections too far apart is bad, and others say it doesn't matter. It seams to be working for you just fine though.

I'm going to make one out of 3/4" copper and one out of 1/2" copper and see what does what. I've got all the supplies on hand, now I need the time.

if you dont mind report back. I may try the 1/2 also.
I thought about doing it through the plastic but its easier to take apart this way. the one I'm going to make for the house i think i will do it that way, since it will be mounted on the roof

Bubba1661

WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Dipole Antenna

I work out of town a lot so i built this dipole antenna today. I have it in our crew house now and i didnt bolt it together so i can take it apart to transport it for long hotel stays. Im hitting sheriff dispatch 20 miles away over two mountains while indoors. I'm sure there has to be a repeater somewhere in there.
the rubber ducky antenna wouldn't even get static.

Man Pat, Your going to have to walk me through to build one. Looks real good!

dmg1969

Nice job, psdavidson! I made one a while ago and had it in my attic. I was very happy with the results. I have since unhooked it in favor of a Hustler MOR I mounted in the attic. I'm actually considering hooking it back up and running another length of coax so I can have two scanners running simultaneously. Here's a link to my build. http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...67-my-homemade-off-center-dipole-antenna.html

psdavidson

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
This is cool stuff!!

When I make my wire OCFD I will try it in my hotel room the week of 1/27. I'll be in LA on Monday, and the San Fran/Bay Area on Tuesday and Wednesday, flying home Thursday. It will get a good workout in the late afternoon and evening hours as I work on reports while scanning away ;)

If it rivals the reception I now get with my "packable" A/S MON-52 I'll leave the latter at home from now on - even though it fits in my suitcase every once in a while I get a little flak from the TSA about it.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Nice job, psdavidson! I made one a while ago and had it in my attic. I was very happy with the results. I have since unhooked it in favor of a Hustler MOR I mounted in the attic. I'm actually considering hooking it back up and running another length of coax so I can have two scanners running simultaneously. Here's a link to my build. http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...67-my-homemade-off-center-dipole-antenna.html

Dave,

Very nice thread on the OCFD! May I ask if you are now getting better VHF low reception with the Hustler MOR in your attic than you were with the OCFD?

dmg1969

Thanks, LIScanner101. Not really. I think no matter what antenna I use, my problems are terrain based. I'm not going to extremes to solve them because the county is in the beginning stages of planning a new system.

Dave,

Very nice thread on the OCFD! May I ask if you are now getting better VHF low reception with the Hustler MOR in your attic than you were with the OCFD?

nanZor

Nice looking ocfd you made there.

However, lose that copper support pipe, and use a short piece of pvc instead. The twinlead that is coming out of the transformer should not be close to metal.

If you can, run the feedline out horizontally even more.

ajcscan

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys! Someone posted some pictures of a homemade antenna with box connector that connects directly to the scanner itself and posted pictures and a brief explanation of how to build it? I have desperately been looking for that thread and have been unable to find it? Can anyone help please? I would greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my Note 2 on Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.