Made a discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this right from Radio Reference. But this isn’t what I read. This is different from what I said about two scanners interfering with each other. Here’s what I found.

Member. You cannot just parallel multiplereceivers to the same center pin of a single antenna coax fitting; they willinterfere with one another. You need adevice known as a multicoupler to isolate the receivers from one another.May 4, 2009
1617847908231.png

forums.radioreference.com

Dave, naming the system is something I’m not familiar with at this time. I wish I could find what I read because as I said I even took the sds100 out to the kitchen on Bluetooth listening to see which one would hear better than the other. Hopefully once I get on the desktop computer I can do better searching. Most everything I post comes from my iPhone.

It can have up to 3dB attenuation at 900MHz and 50ft and cutting it down to 25ft would gain you at most 1,5dB. Probably not worth doing and absolutly not if it ends up longer than that.

/Ubbe

Ubbe, would it be a fair statement to say that a police scanner by their nature will hit and miss on signals coming in. From what I’ve read on this forum their are those who listen up to 5 scanners at a time. I have both my sds100 and the 200 both on at the same time. I’m noticing that the 100 will scan a signal/frequency and the 200 will scan another. So from what I’m hearing that must be a combination on placement of the scanners/antenna and their nature? Any input would be great.

Antennas are extreamly location dependent if you do not have them high above any obstacles and have line of sight to the transmit source. Just moving a few feet might change the signal level a lot when having the antenna in a closed enviroment like an attic.

Try to bring your scanner up to the attic and connect to the coax and then move the antenna around, also in hight, to try and find the best spot for a system or frequency that are hard to receive and that you would like to monitor. It might make other systems harder to monitor so try to test all frequencies that are important to you before deciding for a final position.

Having several antennas connected to several scanners are always a good solution. Even antennas 3 ft apart will probably have different reception from different systems that makes it worthwhile to have several coaxes and antennas installed.

/Ubbe

Ubbe, I just read this post again. You had already answered my question about the nature of a scanner. And everything you said here on this post makes sense to me. Being a newbie and all. Before hanging the antenna to the attic. I did walk around with the tripod still bonded to the antenna. At that time nothing really changed since the tripod was interfering with the antenna. And my statement I made on the earlier post isn’t true per say. Saying you can’t mount an antenna on a tripod. What I was meaning is. You have to be sure that the antenna does not become part with the tripod. Just for clarity on my part is all.

Antennas are extreamly location dependent if you do not have them high above any obstacles and have line of sight to the transmit source. Just moving a few feet might change the signal level a lot when having the antenna in a closed enviroment like an attic.

Try to bring your scanner up to the attic and connect to the coax and then move the antenna around, also in hight, to try and find the best spot for a system or frequency that are hard to receive and that you would like to monitor. It might make other systems harder to monitor so try to test all frequencies that are important to you before deciding for a final position.

Having several antennas connected to several scanners are always a good solution. Even antennas 3 ft apart will probably have different reception from different systems that makes it worthwhile to have several coaxes and antennas installed.

/Ubbe

The only obstacle that I know of. Is of course being inside. Plus the home to the north of me presents no obstacle, but the home to the south sets higher than mine. Other than that no other obstacle that I know of. Not sure how much loss I have with reception of the coax still down inside the tripod. If any? But Tim is coming back over this Monday and we’ll find out soon enough. Once we cut the coax and pull it out of the tripod we’ll know better then

Status
Not open for further replies.