Made my first antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenrod

Thanks everyone. Just made my first off center dipole. It's way better than the antenna from the box. I'm only trying to receive from 154 to around 330 MHz. I made one side 18 inches and the other side 9 inches. Question is, have I applied the formula right for the length? Like I said, it's way better. But could it get even better.

knightrider

It can always be better... To a point. I don't remember the formula off hand for figuring the off center dipoles, but the only thing I can tell you, is to add a little wire to each end, and see what happens as you increase the length. I have center fed dipoles here I have made for scanning, and have them mounted at various points on the side of my tower. They definitely help. I have them for the 140-160 bands, and the 200-300 mhz bands. I like to listen to public safety, and also to military aircraft. I feed them with old coax I've gotten from places where they have replaced the cable TV stuff (RG-59). I am sure that if I did a more precise calculation in them, and changed to at least RG-58, I could use them effectively for my 2m Ham radios. Again, if you can't find the formula here (I think it is in the Antenna Wiki), just experiment some. It is one of the few things left that you can make changes to, and enjoy easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.