• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Made up a 12v radio tester today.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6HCB

Figured Id share the idea. Not sure if this is the best forum to put it, but oh well :lol:.

I frequently come across radios where it would be nice to know if they power on or have any signs of life at sales, auctions, or out in the field doing service. I have an event coming up where I need to go through and test about 150 mobiles quickly to determine their functionality.... I made up this guy:

testbattery.jpg

Its as 12 volt, 1.3 amp hour sealed AGM battery from the local Batteries Plus store, was only $14.99. Small enough that itll slip in my jacket pocket no problem. I wired a Motorola plug to it directly for some testing tonight, but I am going to revise the design by hardwiring an Anderson Powerpole connector on and then attaching that to the battery edge - that way I can swap out adapter plugs for Motorola, Yaesu T style, etc, or even alligator clips.

Not sure on how long its going to last, but I figure it should be quite a while just powering on radios listening for a beep and looking for life on the display.

Works great!

cdm1550onbatt.jpg

Thayne

Just don't let the smoke out if you get the polarity wrong on some radio with a weird connector; I got thrown out of an auction once for opening a locked rack--:p

KJ6HCB

Just don't let the smoke out if you get the polarity wrong on some radio with a weird connector; I got thrown out of an auction once for opening a locked rack--:p

LOL! Yes, I always have /\/\ keys with me to open locked cabinets, or investigate open cabinets then lock them :lol:

fineshot1

Good idea

This is a good idea. That looks like a typical UPS battery and for
checking the radios for signs of life it should work fine.

Suggestion: Make the cord a little longer for ease of use and also put a
typical 15A fuse inline in case a radio you come across has an internal
problem and blows fuses. Also make up a short wire with alligator clips
on both ends in case a radio you are trying to test requires ignition
sense to power up and make sure you bring along some extra fuses.

Oh and you may need some accessory plugs for various radios already
wired up for ignition sense with a wire lead from the appropriate pin.

Last edited:

K9WG

This is a good idea. That looks like a typical UPS battery and for
checking the radios for signs of life it should work fine.

Suggestion: Make the cord a little longer for ease of use and also put a
typical 15A fuse inline
in case a radio you come across has an internal
problem and blows fuses. Also make up a short wire with alligator clips
on both ends in case a radio you are trying to test requires ignition
sense to power up and make sure you bring along some extra fuses.

Oh and you may need some accessory plugs for various radios already
wired up for ignition sense with a wire lead from the appropriate pin.

Dang! You beat me to it.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
if you are not going to TX on them, i would put a 2A fuse. that is more than enough to handle a power up. of course if it is a trunked radio it may try to affiliate, but with no antenna on it the key burst will be quick and probably won't pop the fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.