made up cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank125

hello my question i made a home made cable to download the updates in the 996t i have never updated anything in it yet. heres what i did i tookm the remotepc to scanner cable cut off the end that has the part i dont need, cut an old usb cable and spliced the two together. so know i have my usb-1 cable. ok it does not seem to work isnt this basically the same thing that you would get from uniden or scanner master etc. can someone let me know why this would not work, or if it should work i must be doing something wrong. i have downloaded the 2 updates. it wont even let me save the data i already have in the scanner from the usad it wants to know which port to use i dont have them. any way can some one let me know if this should work or not. money is real tough these days. thanks for youre help

cpuerror

You just MAJORLY screwed up your cable! The USB 1 cable has electronics in it that allow it to work, it is not just a simple cable. I would suggest splicing the cable back the way it was, then getting a $10 USB-Serial adapter off ebay.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It requires more than just splicing the cable together. It needs a serial to USB converter and software drivers designed for the cable to function as a USB device in Windows in order to work. Hopefully you can re-splice the cable to it original configuration and purchase a cheap converter to work with it as cpuerror suggested.

slicerwizard

i tookm the remotepc to scanner cable cut off the end that has the part i dont need
OK, I have to ask, just to make sure I'm reading this right - you took the stock PC to scanner serial cable and cut off the DB9 end? And now you want to just stick on a USB connector, figuring that it would somehow turn your cable into a USB device?

If so, it's time for you to fix your cable and invest in one of these: Buy the Cables Unlimited Serial Adapter at TigerDirect.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.