Madison Co. Indiana unified dispatch radio system quotes range from $12M to $20M

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamx2

ANDERSON – Madison County officials received two proposals Tuesday that will be considered for the purchase of a new radio dispatch system for all local law enforcement agencies.

The Madison County Commissioners opened the three proposals for the new radio system, but one of the three didn’t include prices on the nine alternatives in the proposal. The two other offers for the new system ranged from $12.6 million to $20.6 million.

Unified dispatch radio system quotes range from $12M to $20M - Herald Bulletin: Local News

jim202

Sounds like who ever wrote the bid specs didn't do that good of a job. There should never be that much of a spread.

Without reading the post given, I would bet that the high bid was Motorola.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
^^^good guess.

I wonder if they could have got better pricing with Moto if they went though the statewide SafeT system/contract?

Jeff.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
Motorola Solutions submitted a base price of $6,857,594 and a total price of $16,785,414 with a five-year maintenance agreement, or $20,601,735 for a 10-year maintenance program.

AMK Services submitted a base price of $6,694,309 for a Harris radio system. The company’s total price was $12,657,013 for a five-year maintenance program and $13,297,800 for a 10-year maintenance agreement.

Base price less than $175,000.00 difference.

bamx2

That's absolutely absurd. Madison County Indiana is a rural county mostly agricultrual. They don't need this kind of multi-million dollar radio system.

What would you recommend? I'm always leary hearing someone offer a negative opinion without alternates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapidcharger

What would you recommend? I'm always leary hearing someone offer a negative opinion without alternates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are cities many times the size and population and budget of Madison that are using analog conventional repeaters with a proven record of reliability. The only thing digital trunking has proven to do is waste enormous amounts of money, usually money that is desperately needed for other important things. This shouldn't even be up for discussion until every last fire fighter is on payroll. If you're still relying on volunteers, you don't need to be looking at multi-million dollar radio systems. This is a little like a broke, jobless 30 year old who's still living at home with mom and dad, test-driving Maseratis.

Last edited:

12dbsinad

There are cities many times the size and population and budget of Madison that are using analog conventional repeaters with a proven record of reliability. The only thing digital trunking has proven to do is waste enormous amounts of money, usually money that is desperately needed for other important things. This shouldn't even be up for discussion until every last fire fighter is on payroll. If you're still relying on volunteers, you don't need to be looking at multi-million dollar radio systems. This is a little like a broke, jobless 30 year old who's still living at home with mom and dad, test-driving Maseratis.

You and I clearly think on the same page about this. A simple system that is functional does not bring enough profit to even pay the slicky salesman anymore. Long gone are the days of a solution brought forward that works well, keeps the agency happy, and is designed for the area it serves, all within a budget that the locals can afford to implement and maintain for years to come.

This trend doesn't just stop at LMR either. The cost of upfitting an average police cruiser has skyrocketed as well. The new fad is to have so much LED lighting that it is becoming completely blinding in low light conditions. What ever happend to enough lights to get the job done, safely, without extra monies spent for no extra gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.