Mag Mount antenna on chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorak

I have an extra radioshack magnetic mount antenna laying around that I'm thinking I'll mount on the top of my fireplace chimney. My question is, would the chimney provide proper grounding, or would i need to do something else?

BonziBuddy

Do you mean mounting it on the metal cap of the chimney? That would be an awful small ground plane... then you'd have to figure out how to ground it from lightning. I know grounding an antenna is not complicated... but a mag mount on top of a chimney cover?

tcm4368

Not sure your house construction or your antenna type, but I installed a flat piece of metal across the rafters in my attic for a groundplane. I installed an NMO mount and antenna for my UHF business band radio. I can hit my repeater which is 30 miles away. Installing it in the attic provided a clean look to the house and also helped protect from lightning strikes. Might work in your situation as well.

rr9876

thats an idea.... I might try upside down under the eaves of the roof.... any problems with that..???
it would be outside anyway but upside down... its a 6 inch 3g antenna and I could do a metal plane,
maybe 8 inches by 4 inches..??

tcm4368

I'm not sure how that might work. Mine is a UHF 3Db gain and works well. As i said I can hit my repeater and it's 30 mi away.

Status
Not open for further replies.