• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mag-Mount antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean_kd4adv

I have a Wilson Li'l Will Mag Mount CB Antenna and the bottom of the antenna where the magnet is needs a replacement cover to go between the magnet and the surface of the vehicle.
What home remedy could I use before buying a new antenna?
Tnx. :)

phoenix

Cut a circle out of a clear lettersize folder you can get at a walmart etc. in the school supplies area. Try it out first to see if the magnet to vehicle is still strong enough to hold the antenna securely before driving at highway speeds.

reedeb

OR use a sandwich bag slip it in and poke a hole for the whip to slide thru [I've seen folks do this trick, Just replace every week or so to keep the moisture level down]

LtDoc

Almost any thin plastic film will work. It's subject to some wear, so watching it is sort of nice. It's a toss-up, the thinner the better but it also means it'll wear out faster. Then you get to glue/seal the thing to the magnet and housing.
- 'Doc

JayMojave

Hello All; I bought a older CB type Magnetic Antenna Mount at a Yard Sale, it was modified for a 5/8 wave length 2 meter antenna and worked great. But it had no protective felt or plastic to keep from scratching the paint on my vehicle. Bought some Teflon Tape off E-Bay that was approx 3 Mils thick and works great.

Jay in the Mojave

GoNavy

Premium Subscriber
Go to Home Depot or similar hardware store might have it. Get this stuff called Plasti Dip usually comes in both spray or dip can version. Basically it is used to rubber coat tools i.e. dip the handles in and it coats it in rubber. Use the spray version and do the bottom of the antenna or even get the can and paint it on works either way. Love this stuff, used it on many of my tools.

Or get it off Ebay, just did a quick look, they have it all spray, dip, different colors...etc...
plasti dip | eBay

RandyBonin

Premium Subscriber
I had same issue. I went to the local shop that makes vinyl signs.

I had them cut a perfect 4" round circle from exterior grade black plastic sign material, that has one side "sticky". It was cut with their automated sign cutter.

Worked perfect. Cost $1.00!

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.