Mag Mount as a permanent mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
***UPDATE***

Hey all,

I was thinking about it and I don't like having an antenna on top of my car (I have a mag mount antenna right now on top) but I was thinking that I could just get a better handheld antenna for my Pro-79 that will work inside my car - will my reception get much worse? All I am really interested in hearing are local frequencies. Are there any handheld antennas that I can see good reception with?

N0IU

I was thinking about it and I don't like having an antenna on top of my car (I have a mag mount antenna right now on top) but I was thinking that I could just get a better handheld antenna for my Pro-79 that will work inside my car - will my reception get much worse? All I am really interested in hearing are local frequencies. Are there any handheld antennas that I can see good reception with?
Will the stock antenna on your handheld scanner be worse than an antenna mounted outside your vehicle? Yes! How much worse? No one will be able to answer that but you. The stock antenna may actually be good enough for your use, but only you will be able to tell.

A "better" antenna for a handheld scanner almost always means a bigger antenna. If you were using the scanner at home, having a longer telescoping antenna would certainly be something to consider, but in a car, probably not such a good idea. Even if you have the scanner mounted in a cup holder like you are planning to do, you would have to make sure that a longer antenna wouldn't interfere with anything inside the car.

Happy New Year!

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Will the stock antenna on your handheld scanner be worse than an antenna mounted outside your vehicle? Yes! How much worse? No one will be able to answer that but you. The stock antenna may actually be good enough for your use, but only you will be able to tell.

A "better" antenna for a handheld scanner almost always means a bigger antenna. If you were using the scanner at home, having a longer telescoping antenna would certainly be something to consider, but in a car, probably not such a good idea. Even if you have the scanner mounted in a cup holder like you are planning to do, you would have to make sure that a longer antenna wouldn't interfere with anything inside the car.

Happy New Year!

I see what you mean! The stock antenna inside the car sucks!! With the RadioShack mag mount antenna on my roof right now, I hear so much and it is great! It also looks cool! ;)

I thought about getting one of those Jeep spare wheel mounts but I like having the flexibility of the mag mount - if I want to take it off, boom, it's off. But it does look professional when it is on my Jeep. I have it mounted right in the center of my roof on my Jeep Liberty. It works, that's all that matters! :)

Like you said before, mag mounts are used so much everyday for some reason...they must be handy! lol ;) It was made for a car, so I am not too worried about getting scratches on my roof...

Thanks Scott and Happy New Year!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.