Mag Mount For 436HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infohou

Hey Folks,

I did a search and did not see anything useful. Anybody have any knowledge of a good mag mount antenna to help reception when I take the 436HP in the car?

I saw an interesting post somewhere stating that the poster thought mag mounts were no good. I have had good luck with 2m/440 mag mounts and my current one works well. One just needs to ask others and don't buy too cheaply.

I do monitor P25 and analog.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a 436, so I'm assuming it has the SMA connector for the antenna. This is what my 396XT and 396T have.

I've used the SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount which has the SMA connecter with good results. (There is also a BNC version).

The magnet is fairly strong and stays in place on the roof of my vehicle when traveling on the interstates.

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and SMA

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I don't have a 436, so I'm assuming it has the SMA connector for the antenna. This is what my 396XT and 396T have.

I've used the SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount which has the SMA connecter with good results. (There is also a BNC version).

The magnet is fairly strong and stays in place on the roof of my vehicle when traveling on the interstates.

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and SMA
That's the same antenna I use on my HP-1 & 396XT (I have two of the antennas). I haven't taken a road trip yet with the 436. The antenna works well. Out on the rural counties west of the metro area, where Vhf-high predominates, I get good reception from stations 50-60 miles out or more, in many cases.

Here's the same antenna, at a different source: ProComm JBC290M JBC290MM JBC290WC Mobile Scanner Antenna

I'm using the BNC version, with SMA->BNC adapters on the 396XT's, as well as the HP-1, and have the adapter on the 436HP so that I can use the R/S 800MHz antenna around town.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Stick with the BNC adapter. It makes swapping antennas a lot easier and causes less stress on the SMA itself. I use mag mounts because I often switch between different vehicles and have never had a problem with them.

infohou

That's the same antenna I use on my HP-1 & 396XT (I have two of the antennas). I haven't taken a road trip yet with the 436. The antenna works well. Out on the rural counties west of the metro area, where Vhf-high predominates, I get good reception from stations 50-60 miles out or more, in many cases.

Here's the same antenna, at a different source: ProComm JBC290M JBC290MM JBC290WC Mobile Scanner Antenna

I'm using the BNC version, with SMA->BNC adapters on the 396XT's, as well as the HP-1, and have the adapter on the 436HP so that I can use the R/S 800MHz antenna around town.

Thanks Gents, I ordered it from ProComm as they seem to have it in stock. I did the BNC as I do prefer that but there is going to be some loss in the adapter. When I got back into HAM radio I was surprised to find the SMA on my new handheld. Must be cheaper to make.

Take it EZ,
Robert

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Add another vote for the SpectrumForce. I have a BNC version hooked up to my multicoupler in my house (too lazy to try to erect an outdoor antenna for all my radios, so the magmount is on a sheet of tin in my shack) and an SMA version on my car for one of my HP1s.

Status
Not open for further replies.