Mag Mounts & Paint Scratching

Status
Not open for further replies.

RISC777

quoting epbernstein :
"Anyone have some tips on how to keep mag mounts from scratching the paint on the car? Lots of wax, or ?"

Let me do some researching. There was either a Yahoo Group that that topic was discussed, or it could have been here at RR. There were some pretty good suggestions, though.

`Doug

pinetree

Try a piece of food wrap Glad or something similar. You can also coat the ant. with a thin coating of clear spray such as krylon.

LFRfreak

I used to use a Radioshack mag mount and I never had any problems with it scratching up my ride. I would think that a very thin piece of cloth would work. Better to be safe than sorry I guess.

-LFRfreak

cstockmyer

This is something I did not even think about with a mag mount. There is no way a NMO mag mount would move around at highway speeds right? I think it's 75 north of 120th, so 80 mph..Thanks for bringing this up!

RISC777

I've gotten up above the speed limit very occasionally with a mag mount and never once had a problem with it at all, no sliding, no coming completely loose, etc.

Keep the paint clean and the base of the mag mount clean before setting it in place are the best steps in not scratching paint.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
quoting epbernstein :
"Anyone have some tips on how to keep mag mounts from scratching the paint on the car? Lots of wax, or ?"

Yes, A very LARGE drill bit! :D

And Mag mounts stick even at very high speeds, +100Mph

RISC777

epbernstein :
Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Some things to do that were mentioned going by memory were such as -
* when not on the vehicle, put the base on a clean piece of metal
* I think someone said similar to the paint and thin cloth was some adhesive vinyl, such a digitial print company would use

So along with everything else, the main things are to keep the magnet base clean and the car clean where the base is going to go to.

`Doug

epbernstein

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've had mixed results in the past (just as I had with hood bras). I guess it's time to experiment again...

jacobs60bx

RISC777 said:
I've gotten up above the speed limit very occasionally with a mag mount and never once had a problem with it at all, no sliding, no coming completely loose, etc.
QUOTE]

I clobbered a bird with my 2 meter mag mount south of Denver on I 25. Bird went tumbling down the road and knocked my mag mount off the roof. No more mag mounts for me.

M

mpg0515

jacobs60bx said:
RISC777 said:
QUOTE]

I clobbered a bird with my 2 meter mag mount south of Denver on I 25. Bird went tumbling down the road and knocked my mag mount off the roof. No more mag mounts for me.

And the chances of this happening all the time???? Slim to none.

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
instead of saran wrap (wimpy) try some clear packing tape
I do building maintenance for a certain bank throughout denver metro
and staff always put these magnet clips on the steel painted door frames over time they were scratching paint so after I sanded and repainted 20 frames I tried packing tape
have not repainted since,be sure both surfaces are always perfectly clean!!!!

kc8syo

Try some of the cb shops on line some sell teflon pads that go on the bottom of the magnet mount you can cut to fit hope that helps.

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"And the chances of this happening all the time???? Slim to none."

Ya just ask the poor biker on the motor cycle that was struck by lightening

JohnWayne

Most companies that make mag mounts also sell a rubber boot accessory that slips on the bottom of the mount to give somewhat more protection. I don't know how much good they do, but I used to sell tons of them, so I guess people like them. If you ask me, if crud gets stuck between the mount and your roof, then there's not much to help you.

Of course the best way to avoid this problem would be to use a permanent mount!

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.