Magnetic antenna for car .. for my scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbmkk

I have has an Icom scanner for a few years, which I used to use to listen to shipping / aircraft with my late father.. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago.

I have decided to once again use the scanner, but it isn't too god when I am in the car.

I am after a simple magnetic type antenna, which I can simply stick on the car roof when I stop.

Which antenna would folk here recommend please ?

I listen to the shipping (155 - 156MHz) and the aircraft (119 - 126MHz)

I live on the coast (near Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK), 4 miles from the River Tyne and about 12 miles from the local airport (NCL)

thank you

N8IAA

I have has an Icom scanner for a few years, which I used to use to listen to shipping / aircraft with my late father.. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago.

I have decided to once again use the scanner, but it isn't too god when I am in the car.

I am after a simple magnetic type antenna, which I can simply stick on the car roof when I stop.

Which antenna would folk here recommend please ?

I listen to the shipping (155 - 156MHz) and the aircraft (119 - 126MHz)

I live on the coast (near Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK), 4 miles from the River Tyne and about 12 miles from the local airport (NCL)

thank you

I would suggest a simple 1/4 wave 2m antenna for you. Most are about 19"-20" long, and will work great for VHF aircraft and the shipping frequencies.
12 miles from the airport won't let you listen to the tower, but you will hear the planes.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.