Magnetic mount antenna??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys I have a question. I have the new Uniden BCD536HP scanner base unit for my house. I'm using the antenna it came with that screws into the back of the unit. However the way my house is positioned my reception on a UHF 453 frequency sucks when it SHOULD be crystal clear where I'm at... My question is could I substitute and use a magnetic vehicle mount antenna and run it outside my house, would that improve reception? Or no because it's made to mount to a metal vehicle shell? Thx in advance!

-- David
South Florida

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Anything outside

will be a better solution.

If you can get the magnet mount on anything metal it would be better but it will still work.

Wally46

Feed Provider
I think it would improve reception quite a bit. Anytime you get an antenna outside the house it's an improvement. I don't think the metal body of a car is as important for receiving as it is with transmitting.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

If you can't get a magnetic horizontal surface outdoors, and don't want to run coax out a window, the put this in the attic or upstairs window and run the cable to your scanner. The second version (scroll down) is all wire and can be assembled for about $10 and 20 min. Guaranteed improvement over the antenna that came with the 536. And no worry about water coming in the coax, grounding, lightning, or other outdoor antenna issues. This can be hung vertically and invisibly from a curtain rod behind curtains or along a window casement: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Homebrewed_Off-Center_Fed_Dipole

Status
Not open for further replies.