Magsafe charger interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
OK, so I bought off Amazon (Amazon.com) a charger stand for my iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods that uses Magsafe for the phone. For you non Apple Koolaid drinkers, this is an enhanced proximity charger that holds the phone with electromagnets.

While the charger works great I found that while the phone is docked it emits many spurs in the VHF band. The spurs were reduced somewhat after I put in a ferrite choke on the cable. They got even less when I removed the phone from the charger but still not enough. I tried moving the charger to the other side of the office but no joy there either. I replaced the USB wall-wart with an Apple one and that further reduced the amount of spurs but did not eliminate them. Most of the spurs come from the unit itself.

I relocated the stand to be nightstand in the bedroom on the other side of the house and the interference is gone so it looks like my main charging location will be there from now on. It's too bad as I like having it here in the office. I usually charge my phone every other day so it is not a huge deal.

Be wary of chargers like these making noise on your scanners. I suppose if I had invested in a better name brand I might not have these issues; does anyone here have a Belkin 3-in-1 charger that can tell if it also emits spurs?

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Good to know, Rich. I have a charging stand that Gregg KB9E "printed" on his 3D printer, so I use the Apple Watch charger that came with the watch, and of course, no interference issues here. I use an "off-brand" non-OEM charging cable with a right-angle plug on the phone and on the USB end. The 90 degree right-angle is a must because most other charging cords without it fail within a year or shorter.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
My Anker sprays a tremendous amount of noise in the VHF range.

a417

U+0000
I bought exactly ONE aftermarket Apple laptop charger. It was utter and complete garbage. Never falling for that again.
I have fixed every apple charger I ever had that broke, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.