SDS100/SDS200: Mahoning County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Anyone got Life Fleet EMS TG ?
RR says it’s on LTR but that been depreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I don't. But given that they cover parts of three counties, they are likely on somebody's wide area system -- MARCS-IP or TriConnex. If it were me I'd be monitoring the TriConnex sites in the area.

Nasby

Poor planning and lack of testing/research by YFD for sure. No one to blame but themselves.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Poor planning and lack of testing/research by YFD for sure. No one to blame but themselves.

Yep. And there are solutions (vehicle repeaters, for one) which would enable them to continue using the existing system for a lot less $$ than $250k. Simplex fireground channels also work well, with proper planning and implementation.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yep. And there are solutions (vehicle repeaters, for one) which would enable them to continue using the existing system for a lot less $$ than $250k. Simplex fireground channels also work well, with proper planning and implementation.

They should be using simplex on the fireground.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
Not having simplex fireground channels, or a vehicular repeater fireground setup, is a recipe for disaster. These types of systems are not designed for in-building use with low power handheld radios. On street, mobile yes. On street, portable yes. In building, portable no.

They should be using simplex on the fireground.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Not having simplex fireground channels, or a vehicular repeater fireground setup, is a recipe for disaster. These types of systems are not designed for in-building use with low power handheld radios. On street, mobile yes. On street, portable yes. In building, portable no.

I can't completely agree with that. When one is using a properly designed simulcast site (or is close to a stand-alone site), performance is perfectly fine from inside most buildings. However, in rural areas you are correct; agencies in those areas really should have vehicle repeaters and simplex fireground channels in case of coverage issues.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
In looking at a tower site map for this system, it clearly isn’t designed for high reliability in-builing, portable use. I’m not surprised YFD is having issues on fireground. It’s not a rural community. You are correct though, a well designed system can be sufficient, most times.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Here is the site tower map.
The top right is Downtown Youngstown.
If you zoom in you can see the green dot as the street where the fire in question was.
It probably 3-4 miles from that tower.
f713774f36c58733be2e512bfbb5d07f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.