Mahwah PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Mahwah PD has been operating on 460.4625 CTCSS 151.4 (Mahwah OEM) for the past few days. Anyone know why they've moved off of 460.200?

Ongoing issues with 460.2000, They were doing test counts and radio checks a few weeks ago after being on 460.4625. There is also some 60 Cycle hum now and then on 460.4625 from some units.

The article seems to suggest that Mahwah is moving all departments to digital.
It also mentions the installation of a central processing unit or CPU.
Possibly a trunked system?

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Doubt it. They didn't even want to join the Bergen County Trunk System, whose dispatch center is in Mahwah.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The article seems to suggest that Mahwah is moving all departments to digital.
It also mentions the installation of a central processing unit or CPU.
Possibly a trunked system?

The rules for trunking are a lot more stringent with respect to channel exclusivity than conventional. It could be interesting if they can get FB8 exclusive status in such a congested area. They would be in a better position with 460 MHz frequencies than the county is with T-Band, though, as the 460 frequencies will still be around.

Once upon a time, I worked on Mahwah's systems. I did their 33.86 low band stuff about 35 years ago, and their 460 stuff about 25 years ago. Their going to UHF was a smart investment that served them well.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I'd have to disagree. I haven't seen a user of the Bergen County TRS that isn't dispatched by the County 911 center. And Mahwah won't give up their dispatch. And the County I'm told offered to provide the service for FREE !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I'd have to disagree. I haven't seen a user of the Bergen County TRS that isn't dispatched by the County 911 center. And Mahwah won't give up their dispatch. And the County I'm told offered to provide the service for FREE !

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Lodi uses the system but retained their own dispatchers at the PSOC.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I don't know about Lodi but I will say when agencies switch over to a County dispatch center I've routinely seen some of that agency's dispatchers go over to County as well as part of the agreement. Remember CENCOM....I hear some of those voices over at Union County now.

I don't know about Lodi but I will say when agencies switch over to a County dispatch center I've routinely seen some of that agency's dispatchers go over to County as well as part of the agreement. Remember CENCOM....I hear some of those voices over at Union County now.
That happened at Ridgefield. When they signed over to the county for dispatching, the county absorbed their telecommunicators. I'm not sure if that was some or all.

We've also had that in other parts of the country, where telecommunicators are offered a deal to move over to a new agency as part of the negotiations. Problem is sometimes not everyone gets to go. I've seen posts on agency management boards where managers try to find ways of weeding out the average and weaker 'spatchers. In a county with 70 municipalities, telecommunicators are multiplied by staffing throughout the region. Once things regionalize, that economy changes. It's the same way with radio shops. In some places, once a county moves over to a proprietary system, all the little radio dealers and shops who made a living contracting with the individual towns go away, and the only shop in town is the one that has the big contract. There usually isn't enough business users to keep the little shops afloat. By regionalizing dispatch, there aren't enough openings for everyone who's displaced.

It's not always the weaker-skilled 'spatchers who get weeded out. Sometimes it's more like being the one who's left standing without a chair when the music stops.

The other argument is "you don't know these streets the way that I do..." And that's true. My wife dispatched in quite a few places as I moved around the country. We lived in a rural area, and she knew the area because she lived there. Her co-workers lived in the more populated areas. Most of them had never even been out our way, and got spun around when trying to reconcile locations. GIS, AVL, and CAD recommendation doesn't always do the right thing.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
So another one of my contacts just told me that Mahwah may be going trunked, but their own system NOT the County. I just don't see that with the amount of money they are allocating in the article sooooo....

Status
Not open for further replies.