Maintaining Favorites List

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornjt

Premium Subscriber
Any one have suggestions of maintainting Favorites lists? I know it doesn't happen often, but was wondering on how others update their lists when entries change.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Fortunately changes are infrequent. For me, when that happens, I will edit the Favorites List in Sentinel, manually. When I get frustrated that it takes a little time, I remind myself of the scanning days when there was no such thing as computer programmed scanners.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Any one have suggestions of maintainting Favorites lists? I know it doesn't happen often, but was wondering on how others update their lists when entries change.
You're a Premium Subscriber. For each of the trunked systems, as well as counties, that are of interest to you, click on the field marked "Watch" in the upper right corner of the system or county's database page.
1605068188486.png
Do that for each of your counties, and trunked systems, of interest to you. Those that you've programmed in your area as well as others that you frequently travel to or through. Selecting the ones of interest will build your "MyRR" page, which is the first page you see when you go to the RadioReference website (you need to be logged in to see your "MyRR", otherwise you'll just see a generic opening page).

Once you have your page built, then when any system, or county, is updated, it will be highlighted in green if the update is within the past 24 hours. If the update was more than 24 hours ago, but up to seven days ago, that entry will be shaded a yellowish tint.

Go to the page for your system, or county, If it was a major change, whatever was changed will be highlighted on the page. You can also click on the "last updated" link in the upper right of the page to access a list of the changes.

You'll find that very often, the change is a minor "housekeeping" change, such as correcting a spelling, or some update to the additional data in the system, but that does not require any change to your programming.

1605068762537.png

For your county, Trinity, you may see it highlighted fairly often, as well as the TxWARN system showing an update. But TxWARN is a large system, and gets updated regularly. When TxWARN gets abn update, it may flag your county as well. But when you look at what changed, it often will be in some other part of TxWARN, well away from your location, and so no changes are needed on your part.

When you do see an actual change, it's usually only a very few items. It's easier (and quicker) to manually update those in your programming (if needed), than it is to append the system, again, to a Fvaorites list, then weed out the things that also get appended but are of no interest or use to you.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
A followup to hiegtx post above (#3) which I did in another thread some time back. How I date the items in my favorites list to keep current with DB changes.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
First of all, I maintain all of my programming in an Excel file. I do it that way so I can quickly "convert" to whatever scanner I want to program. However, I've largely designed the Excel to match the SDS scanners, as they have the most programmable fields.

Since I am also a premium subscriber here, like hiegtx I use the watch function described in post 3. When changes show up, I quickly update my Excel and highlight them. Periodically I update Sentinel (and other programs) with those changes and remove the highlight. Then it's just a matter of updating what is programmed in the radios.

hornjt

Premium Subscriber
A followup to hiegtx post above (#3) which I did in another thread some time back. How I date the items in my favorites list to keep current with DB changes.

Thank you for responding and the information.

hornjt

Premium Subscriber
You're a Premium Subscriber. For each of the trunked systems, as well as counties, that are of interest to you, click on the field marked "Watch" in the upper right corner of the system or county's database page.
View attachment 93914
Do that for each of your counties, and trunked systems, of interest to you. Those that you've programmed in your area as well as others that you frequently travel to or through. Selecting the ones of interest will build your "MyRR" page, which is the first page you see when you go to the RadioReference website (you need to be logged in to see your "MyRR", otherwise you'll just see a generic opening page).

Once you have your page built, then when any system, or county, is updated, it will be highlighted in green if the update is within the past 24 hours. If the update was more than 24 hours ago, but up to seven days ago, that entry will be shaded a yellowish tint.

Go to the page for your system, or county, If it was a major change, whatever was changed will be highlighted on the page. You can also click on the "last updated" link in the upper right of the page to access a list of the changes.

You'll find that very often, the change is a minor "housekeeping" change, such as correcting a spelling, or some update to the additional data in the system, but that does not require any change to your programming.

View attachment 93915

For your county, Trinity, you may see it highlighted fairly often, as well as the TxWARN system showing an update. But TxWARN is a large system, and gets updated regularly. When TxWARN gets abn update, it may flag your county as well. But when you look at what changed, it often will be in some other part of TxWARN, well away from your location, and so no changes are needed on your part.

When you do see an actual change, it's usually only a very few items. It's easier (and quicker) to manually update those in your programming (if needed), than it is to append the system, again, to a Fvaorites list, then weed out the things that also get appended but are of no interest or use to you.
Thank you for your response and information.

Status
Not open for further replies.