***Major Accident***

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Major accident just occured in Roxbuy. School Bus flipped over. School bus full of students. All towns are trying to get rigs out to the scene. Any EMT's or any personal like that, can go help out. Listening on my scanner. PM me for updates! Program allo Roxbuy frequencies in scanner.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Moved from the Announcements forum. Please post topics such as this in your local Incidents and Breaking News forum in the future. Take a look at the topics in the Announcements forum to get a better understanding on what should go there. Thanks.

ETA: Please do not cross-post either.

Last edited:

RocketNJ

Major accident just occured in Roxbuy. School Bus flipped over. School bus full of students. All towns are trying to get rigs out to the scene. Any EMT's or any personal like that, can go help out. Listening on my scanner. PM me for updates! Program allo Roxbuy frequencies in scanner.

Is this the accident that happened on Rt 80? If so, it was two tour buses. One had a bunch of kids in it. Was listening to the comms on the county trunked system. They were staging EMS at the Rockaway Mall so they didn't have too many people getting in the way.

Also, the time stamp on your post shows 3:08 p.m. The tour bus incident happened about 10 a.m. this morning. Just wondering if that is the time Wayne moved the posting from the other forum?

Fox 5 news at 10 should have some footage on it from their helo with the HD camera.

SCPD

QRT
Is this the accident that happened on Rt 80? If so, it was two tour buses. One had a bunch of kids in it. Was listening to the comms on the county trunked system. They were staging EMS at the Rockaway Mall so they didn't have too many people getting in the way.

Also, the time stamp on your post shows 3:08 p.m. The tour bus incident happened about 10 a.m. this morning. Just wondering if that is the time Wayne moved the posting from the other forum?

Fox 5 news at 10 should have some footage on it from their helo with the HD camera.

Did it sound organized on MIRS or chaos?

kenisned

Premium Subscriber

I have to say that it sounded pretty good on all channels.

This kind of incident is always the big worry, and thankfully less than 30 vics had to be transported.

Good job to Roxbury, NJSP and the other agencies operating. Sounds like it went as smoothly as can be expected.

SCPD

QRT

I posted the thread that morning, but I guess Wayne did not get to it until 3:08pm , I guess.

RocketNJ

It sounded organized. Rigs called into service and were directed to euither the scene or staging area at Rockaway Mall.

The amount of injuries requiring transport was low for having a bus roll over, so that helped to reduced any chaos. Having the ability for all the different responding squads to talk on one talkgroup aided in keeping communications organized.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I posted the thread that morning, but I guess Wayne did not get to it until 3:08pm , I guess.
Announcement forum posts are moderated so they don't "appear" until they're approved and I guess hence the timestamp difference. Sorry, gots to post in the correct forum.

SCPD

QRT
It sounded organized. Rigs called into service and were directed to euither the scene or staging area at Rockaway Mall.

The amount of injuries requiring transport was low for having a bus roll over, so that helped to reduced any chaos. Having the ability for all the different responding squads to talk on one talkgroup aided in keeping communications organized.

I guess you could say that was the first real MCI / MIRS test.

SCPD

QRT
It sounded organized. Rigs called into service and were directed to either the scene or staging area at Rockaway Mall.

Very low for rolling off an embankment. But to crash on a bus is not the same as a car, where you know it's coming most of the time and tense up. On a bus I would guess only the passengers up front might have known they were going to roll of the bridge.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
So now the question is....what talkgroups on the MIRS system were being used ? Was Fire on one, EMS on another ? Any new talkgroups pop up ? etc., etc....

dun34

It sounded to me like the mutual aid EMS was mostly using MIRS-1. The staging officer at the Rockaway mall for EMS turned out to be a fire officer that didn't have access to any of the EMS Channels.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
I heard from a FF that was on scene, that FD's couldn't talk to EMS and vice - verser.

There is still not a good understanding of the system.

Fire does not have EMS talkgroups programmed into their radios and vice versa. There are Interop Talkgroups, but noone suggested using them (I think the county shouldve).

They should've set the system up by regions, not by use (except for law enforcement). Fire/EMS work so closely that they should have just had the four regions have a group of talkgroups.

And all units should have all the regions primary calling channel and a shared group of ops talkgroups.

SCPD

QRT
I agree with you, about them not knowing to much about the system. I thought the system would be set up
totally different. When i talk to FF's, about communications and thier dept.'s radio's, i get all kinds of answers that tells me, some of them don't understand the radios and how the frequencies are set up.

FYI: I'm not bashing anyone, i'm an exempt FF and was involved in all aspects of PS, over the years.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Here is a bright idea. When whatever agency is dispatched mutual aid on their own VHF/UHF or lowband frequency, they are told to "switch to MIRS and contact staging on MIOP-1 for insructions."

Fire doesn't have EMS or PD talkgroups, EMS doesn't have fire or PD talkgroups and PD doesn't have Fire or EMS talgroups...but, THEY ALL HAVE INTEROP talkgroups.

Sounds to me like people need more training on the use of MIRS.

In my county, if we go mutual aid to another town, we switch directly to and stay on their channel. Call responding and on scene with their base and contact their incident command on their channel.

If it's an MCI, we are told what frequency/channel to switch to and who to contact for our assignment.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
If it's an MCI, we are told what frequency/channel to switch to and who to contact for our assignment.

Further compounding the problem is that we are not a county dispatched county. Some towns are, some are not.

The local dispatch centers are usually police operated and they don't all have a fire/rescue mindset and consider how our operations should run.

SO, on top of everything else the IC needs to consider, he/she now needs to consider what channel on the county's trs they should use on an incident.

The sooner we are county based dispatching, the better. I only hope that the dispatching at that point is provider oriented (fire dispatcher, ems dispatcher, pd dispatcher)...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.