Major catches for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestsw

So my job allows me to have and play with a couple of my portable radios all day,
I'm at five different locations throughout the week. Tuesday I had my trusty
Radio Shack Pro 60 running through the channels. At approximately 1930 u.t.c.,
it stopped on 300.125 mhz, tanker was referring to an in-flight refuel, was a brief
exchange, but enough to know that was what they were discussing. Here in Iowa
anything in the 225-400 range is rare to hear. Have heard some traffic before,
but it's always so cool because of the rarity. Then, Wednesday (yesterday) 1853 u.t.c.
I received transmission on 145.800, the Space Station ! I was really thrilled as I
had only recently programmed the frequencies for it last week. The astronaut
was discussing zero gravity, and growing vegetables with someone, answering questions.
Was only three or four exchanges but then gone. Crusing at some 17,000 m.p.h. no
surprise !!! Anyway, was most excellent to have a couple of day makers this week.
Really proud of the 'ol Pro 60 running a diamond RH77 CA.
Good luck with Your catches.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Milair gets addictive, doesn't it? I believe FlightAware allows you to track Military aircraft transmitting ADS-B and map it. That might help you augment your milair scanning a bit.

midwestsw

Yes. I will always leave those banks active, no matter what. Thanks - I will have to do
some research on that... I'm very old school....i.e.,,,the Pro 60 !

fmurphy

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick note... FlightAware does not let you track military unless you are a feeder for them and you can only recv it on your feed. The best place to watch tankers and other heavys is on ADS-B Exchange.. you can filter on the site for military. It's interesting to listen to their comms and also see location on screen.

lucky43113

Just a quick note... FlightAware does not let you track military unless you are a feeder for them and you can only recv it on your feed. The best place to watch tankers and other heavys is on ADS-B Exchange.. you can filter on the site for military. It's interesting to listen to their comms and also see location on screen.

Thanks for the info but it seems odd when I filter military I only see 3 planes for the entire country

Status
Not open for further replies.