Major Changes Coming in Union County

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Some pretty major changes are coming to Union County emergency services over the next 6 months. Here's the few that have been confirmed:

1. Union County was heavily discussing changing to a full time, all ProVoice, all encrypted all the time method of operations. Apparently the decision however went the /\/\oto way, considering the band and 5K76G1E (P25 Phase I) emissions. Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz - APPLICATION 0004811542 - UNION, COUNTY OF

2. Union County Mutual Aid Communications will be no longer be done by Elizabeth Fire, but will be done by the county itself out of the courthouse. This may have already taken effect.

3. Atlantic's Cencom will be closing at least partially, due to finances. MONOC is supposed to begin dispatching Trinitas MICU and RWJ Rahway MICU. Unknown what will be done regarding all their municipal dispatch contracts. Some will be going to Union County.

4. Trinitas MICU has begun ditching the SUV's for ambulances. Medic 41 (aka 44 after dark) is already using one. Not sure about Medic 42. Medic 43 is still using one of the Expeditions.

Also a few new licenses popped up that I just noticed. They show the use of 45.980 and 44.880 by Union County with the transmitter in Warinanco Park. Any ideas?
FCC ULS - KEC361 UNION, COUNTY OF 45.980
FCC ULS - KRG798 UNION, COUNTY OF 44.880

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I find it interesting that MONOC will dispatch the Rahway unit rather than RWJ med central branching out!

That's just whats been stated so far, subject to change. Hence the keywords 'supposed to'. It kind of surprised me too when I was told.

But what's really interesting is that the county appears to be changing to 700MHz instead of upgrading the Harris EDACS system. Anybody have any more info on that change btw?

Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQOM626 - UNION, COUNTY OF

Last edited:

Art112

The 45.98 and 44.88 were the old Park Police channels back in the early 70's. There H.Q. was in warnaico park. It was a brick building. When county park police moved out of the building it was used by NSF for awhile. It's been awhile since i've been in the park so i dont know if the building is still there. Used to listen to those lowband channels on my grandfathers tuneable police radio. Also irvington on 45.10 . Art/ K2ADC ps. Dont know why they still hang on to those lowband freqs.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
W2MJR, with regard to your post, I am uncertain what was meant when you said, "1. Union County was heavily discussing changing to a full time, all ProVoice, all encrypted all the time method of operations. Apparently the decision however went the /\/\oto way, considering the band and 5K76G1E (P25 Phase I) emissions. Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz - APPLICATION 0004811542 - UNION, COUNTY OF"

When you say the moto way what exactly does that mean, the system will still be monitorable? I work for the county and all we have heard lately is rumors of layoffs that will effect multiple positions. Again, I've only heard rumors. But if that ends up being the case, why spend money to upgrade comms? I'm sorry if my question is not clear, but the only thing I know about ProVoice and encryption, is that even with my $500 scanner and radios that I will be "SOL" as far as monitoring goes. Any insight would be much appreciated.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
W2MJR, with regard to your post, I am uncertain what was meant when you said, "1. Union County was heavily discussing changing to a full time, all ProVoice, all encrypted all the time method of operations. Apparently the decision however went the /\/\oto way, considering the band and 5K76G1E (P25 Phase I) emissions. Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz - APPLICATION 0004811542 - UNION, COUNTY OF"

When you say the moto way what exactly does that mean, the system will still be monitorable? I work for the county and all we have heard lately is rumors of layoffs that will effect multiple positions. Again, I've only heard rumors. But if that ends up being the case, why spend money to upgrade comms? I'm sorry if my question is not clear, but the only thing I know about ProVoice and encryption, is that even with my $500 scanner and radios that I will be "SOL" as far as monitoring goes. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Yes, it will still be monitorable if they go the path that the license issued for the 700MHz system shows. What I mean is the emissions designator on both the application and the granted license ( WQOM626 UNION, COUNTY OF 700MHZ) are that for APCO P25 Phase 1 digital, on a Motorola trunked radio system. Any current digital scanner would be able to receive it.

As far as I know all this is being done with Homeland Security grants. I don't know if it was a 'matching grant' or not, but I doubt it. So far the others in the state for 700MHz TRS's haven't been. Layoffs...if you work for Union County you could probably say more about that than I. My understanding was that they were going to expand County EMS to an additional crew and were seeking to dispatch more municipalities.

FWIW btw, the current EDACS system includes two talkgroups that are part-time ProVoice, and HazMat 3 which is supposed to be full time ProVoice. But they basically never use them.

Last edited:

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Site 007 Union County Transition Underway

We have seen the beginning of the end of the Union County 800 EDACS this week.

OEM Haz Mat on 700 now TG ID 4273

I understand radio shop on too but I do not have ID

They plan to turn off the 800 system at some point.

The way I see it is the is a Union County system by the way. May be associated with state system but carries little State traffic that I can see..

Analogrules

The 40 MHz frequencies were granted back in 2011. Have they actually began using them again or just plan to in the near future? It sucks that the County is moving to 700 band since I simply can't afford those expensive digital scanners. Dumb move if you ask me. I can only imagine the potential interference issues considering so many departments are being crammed in the 700 band. Furthermore, now the local police departments probably won't have direct access to communicate with County PD. Waste of tax payer money for worse communication.

W2SJW

Database Admin
We have seen the beginning of the end of the Union County 800 EDACS this week.

OEM Haz Mat on 700 now TG ID 4273

I understand radio shop on too but I do not have ID

They plan to turn off the 800 system at some point.

The way I see it is the is a Union County system by the way. May be associated with state system but carries little State traffic that I can see..

Correct. Union decided to make their system part of NJICS + replace the EDACS with this from the start. They don't have to pay the millions of dollars that a site controller costs, and still get primary usage of the frequencies. Almost the same reason why Franklin Twp's TRS is 'technically' the Somerset County TRS... :wink:

Analogrules

The 40 MHz low band frequencies seem to be totally silent so far. I have been monitoring them for the past couple days and not even a key up. Any updates on them, keep us posted.

SCPD

QRT
low band?

The 40 MHz low band frequencies seem to be totally silent so far. I have been monitoring them for the past couple days and not even a key up. Any updates on them, keep us posted.

Are you serious?Low band is DEAD.Everything in NJ will end up on that 700MHZ PSIC system,Belleville,Little Falls are new,Union is there too I beleive,if not they will be! Coolest low band in nj is when the Armstrong tower does the old AM radio band back in the day radio show on 42.8MHZ

WA2XMN

Low band may contain some govt tanks and stuff but only when skip or tropo comes in or some old 49MHZ baby monitors some mom bought at a garage sale.

Analogrules

Since Radio Ditch posted these frequencies as part of changes being made in Union County, I thought perhaps they were using them again for Warinaco Park operations or something. I don't think EVERY department will move to 700 MHz because many towns are very happy with their current radios and feel that there is no need to change something that already works for them. Also, the band can only fit so many departments without interference. As far as Union Twp, they already operate on an EDACS systems with several talkgroups, so I doubt they want to change that. I haven't seen any new license apps for Union Twp, only Union County.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Union Twp officers now carry Harris P7300 dual-band HT's. Those radios are fully capable of operating on the township's 500 EDACS system, and the county/state 700 one. EDACS is at EOL, so Union Twp is going to have to make some choices soon (no longer able to get support for their system, and they have to be off 500MHz by the end of the decade).

W2SJW

Database Admin
Yep. That's how public safety got exclusive access to the 'D - block' section of 700MHz. They had to give something up in return.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk 4

Analogrules

Union County PD are now completely off the 800 EDACS system. To anyone with a 700 MHz scanner, how are they sounding?

Union County PD are now completely off the 800 EDACS system. To anyone with a 700 MHz scanner, how are they sounding?

Loud and clear.

Everything on 700 sounds pretty amazing to be honest. It's as if you're listening to an official department radio. Little to no interference, no annoying analog static.

CJS2

Not all agencies have switched yet. So some units will still be on EDACS for a while longer....

Status
Not open for further replies.