Major Emergency Windsor Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusker305

Wednesday May 28 2008 10:30 AM

A major County Wide Emergency is underway in WINDSOR ESSEX.
Evacuation of civilian population from urban centers in progress.
Emergency Operations Centers established in Windsor.
Emergency Communication Centers established in Windsor, Lake Shore, Kingsville, Amherstburg, and Leamington.
Communications established via IRLP with EMO Toronto.
Red Cross standing by to recieve evacuees.
Monitor 147.060 R, 146.970 R, 145.410 R, and 146.500 simplex.

------THIS IS AN EXERCISE------

TIZ6

tusker305 said:
Wednesday May 28 2008 10:30 AM

A major County Wide Emergency is underway in WINDSOR ESSEX.
Evacuation of civilian population from urban centers in progress.
Emergency Operations Centers established in Windsor.
Emergency Communication Centers established in Windsor, Lake Shore, Kingsville, Amherstburg, and Leamington.
Communications established via IRLP with EMO Toronto.
Red Cross standing by to recieve evacuees.
Monitor 147.060 R, 146.970 R, 145.410 R, and 146.500 simplex.

------THIS IS AN EXERCISE------

Too late. Windsor's urban centers have already been evacuated! ;)

tusker305

Wednesday May 28 2008 12:30 PM

The Emergency Communication Exercise has ended.
All EOCs have secured
Evacuations were not needed as most of the civilian population has self evacuated to Alberta anyway.
The Red Cross is requesting storage for 4000 bologna sandwiches and 100 L of coffee. And I am going Fish'n

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
I don't see what the problem is? The internet was proven to be more reliable then phone and radio after the 911 attacks. Lots of Public safety departments are using ROIP for their day to day operations and for the most part they use the same ADPCM Codec that IRLP uses.

exkalibur said:
IRLP? You've GOT to be kidding me.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The amateur implementation of IRLP - at least in this area - is terrible. I'm sure it is a great technology, and when it works, it does work great. However, my personal experience has been nothing short of a headache. I've used IRLP to try and contact a friend in Vancouver and down in the southern US. There always seems to be problems with the local nodes here and there.

If it were reliable and worked each/every time I'm sure my attitude would change.

...that, and (call me a purist, up there with being anti-no-code-license) IRLP = Internet != Ham Radio.

I've used professional versions of RoIP, Cisco's IPICS in particular. It is light years ahead of the IRLP system both in terms of reliability and voice quality.

Just my opinion, of course.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Also, just to add to that. The idea of ARES (or any ham-radio related emergency communications) is for when the backup to the backup fails. Yes, the Internet is more reliable than the PSTN network (that's a sad state of affairs...) - but HF doesn't rely on any infrastructure to work - you can't beat that.

tusker305

Well folks I gotta tell ya, after being involved in a number of Major and not so major emergencies over the years. I have learned this, when the s*it has hit the fan and I need to get the word to someone, just look for the guy with 3-4 radios on his belt and ARES on his shirt. He will not only get the word where it needs to get, but he will bring back the answer for you too. And when its all over, he ain't gonna be holding out his hand or sending a bill like many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.