Major help needed programming a Whistler WS1065 scanner for my father-in-law as a present.

doc936

I live in Perryville, Arkansas (Perry County). My father-in-law likes to keep up with information in the county. We have bought a Whistler WS 1065 as a present for him, and I have been designated for programing it for him. I have never dealt with any type of radio like this before. I am COMPLETELY stupid when it comes to this and need a dumbed down version of what to do to program the scanner with the, less than 13, frequencies of our county. I have looked over some past threads for the "easier to read" instructions, but they are still "Greek" to me. I am looking for a "step by step" to download the frequencies to the scanner from RadioReference or manually enter them. I would probably like to reset the scanner and start fresh, since I can not determine what damage I have done.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I live in Perryville, Arkansas (Perry County). My father-in-law likes to keep up with information in the county. We have bought a Whistler WS 1065 as a present for him, and I have been designated for programing it for him. I have never dealt with any type of radio like this before. I am COMPLETELY stupid when it comes to this and need a dumbed down version of what to do to program the scanner with the, less than 13, frequencies of our county. I have looked over some past threads for the "easier to read" instructions, but they are still "Greek" to me. I am looking for a "step by step" to download the frequencies to the scanner from RadioReference or manually enter them. I would probably like to reset the scanner and start fresh, since I can not determine what damage I have done.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Have you looked at the "Easier to Read" manual for that scanner?
The WS1065 is the Whistler version of what was originally the GRE PSR600. So, amy programming details for any of these object oriented scanners applies to all of them.

Also look at these pages from the Wiki:

While you can program that scanner manually, via the keypad, you would find it much easier & faster if you use your PC, the cable that should have come with the scanner, and software.

All three of the programs that apply to that scanner have a 30-day free trial. There are user guides for those programs; web page links for those are in the 'Getting Started' Wiki page.

Looking at the database page for Perry County, as well as a post down in the Arkansas regional forum, it appears that the Sherriff's Office in your county, and a number of agencies in the county, are using DMR, which is a digital format that, unfortunately, the WS1065 cannot receive. However, I do see a comment that public safety in the county also uses the statewide AWIN system, which the WS1065 can handle. But there is only talkgroup in AWIN, listed for Perry County. If other talkgroups are also being used, no one has submitted them to the database.
1682779038266.png

I would suggest that you request your thread to be moved to the Arkansas forum. Someone in or near your area, may know more about how much AWIN is being used in the county. To do that, click on the Report link in the lower left corner of your post, and request that a moderator move this thread to the state forum. However, if it turns out that most of the county agencies are still using DMR, not AWIN, unfortunately the WS1065 will not be able to receive them.