Major Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

08GMC4X4

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I monitor NJSP in northern nj I have all systems unlocked and receive all radio traffic. I am down in south jersey and I am not receving any troop B transmissions. I have all sites unlocked and I am monitoring northern l, central, and southern sites.

08GMC4X4

But isn't it simulcast? So shouldn't I just be able to go to the "southern" site on my scanner and put on talk group troop B? I am still very new to trunked systems. Also on another note. I was In Hammonton and programmed atlantic county trs into my 396xt and there was very little activty. Is this normal? I thought I would hear a lot more traffic.

robbinsj2

The three zones (plus the numerous intellirepeaters) are interconnected so that you will hear other zones' talkgroups only if there is a radio which is located in/on that particular zone -- A in your case -- that is set on the talkgroup which you want to hear. This is somewhat often the case for North from Central and South from Central, and vice-versa, but doesn't happen as much for North/South.

Jim

-I have all sites unlocked and I am monitoring-

hey mate,,what do you mean by Unlocked?

and agreed,,you ought to be able to get RX from B-Troop on the simulcast,,
im in philly and i catch TX from all over jersey on the NJSP system..

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
It's my understanding that you may hear Troop B down there if:

- You have Troop A or C frequencies (sites) programmed into your scanner
- The Troop B talkgroup is active in those areas, by there being a person on their "B" talkgroup using those A and/or C towers or there being some permanent simulcast (not so sure about that second part).

Good luck! Are you hearing A/C talkgroups?

RocketNJ

Also NJSP is an OmniLink system. They can prevent talkgroups from being statewide.

My suggestion, head back up north :)

robbinsj2

and agreed,,you ought to be able to get RX from B-Troop on the simulcast,,
im in philly and i catch TX from all over jersey on the NJSP system..

Sure, you'll catch whatever is set to statewide and whatever B/C talkgroups are affiliated to on the A system at the time. You're not getting everything from the entire state, though. If that was the case then why did they bother with three zones?

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
B troop channels are almost constantly simulcast on C troop but not on A troop. So depending on how far south in jersey you are keep scanning the system with the C troop site and you will most likely hear your freinds from B troop. If you switch to the A troop site you won't hear B troop cars unless a B troop car ventures down here and affilates to an A troop site.

08GMC4X4

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

So, next time it would be wise to program in ALL sites? After that will I be able to receive troop B? I was under the impression that with all the sites programmed in I would be able to get NJSP anywhere in NJ. What about the second part of my question. I was in Hammonton and programmed atlantic county trs into my 396xt and there was very little activty. Is this normal? I thought I would hear a lot more traffic. Thanks guys

Last edited:

GM

Premium Subscriber
There are only a select few talk-groups that are re-broadcast/linked Statewide. They include NorthStar, SouthStar, State Parks PD (and related TG's), State Fire Coordinators, EMRAD, some of the Radio Technician Testing, StateCom, and a couple of others that I can't think of off the top of my head. For all of the others, like it was previously said, you have to be in the Zone that the transmission is originating from, or have a radio on in that Zone to re-broadcast it. Example: B2-15 is in Troop B zone. If a radio is on in the Troop C zone with B2-15 on, the you will hear B2-15 in Troop B and C zones, but not Troop A zone. If C3-15 is on in the Troop C zone, and a radio has them on in the Troop A and B zones, you will then hear C3-15 Statewide. This has been my observation that applies to all the talk-groups on the NJSP TRS.

As far as Atlantic County is concerned, a majority of the talk-groups are EDACS Pro-Voice digital. The only way you are going to hear those is to buy a Pro-Voice capable radio (not scanner), or work for a particular agency that performs dispatch/emergency management operations. You should be able to monitor those talk-groups that are marked A (analog) from the database, provided that the scanner is programmed correctly with the LCN's in order.

08GMC4X4

I programmed my 396xt via my computer and the Atlantic County TRS on radioreference so I think it should be set up right.

RocketNJ

But keep in mind most talkgroups that are specific to a zone (B2-4 for example) can be set to only have access from Troop B system. Even if a car on B2-4 were to roam to troop C or A it would not transmit on those systems. This is done to conserve RF channel capacity since they only have 12 channels per troop.
That's the beauty of OmniLink and interzone mapping.

Again, I used B2-4 as an example.

There would be no need for a Sussex or Totowa car to receive or transmit when they are in Trenton.

Sure, you'll catch whatever is set to statewide and whatever B/C talkgroups are affiliated to on the A system at the time. You're not getting everything from the entire state, though. If that was the case then why did they bother with three zones?

but enven on a good simulcast system,,the size of jersey,i think the best you can hope for is
that youll get system wide traffic,i mean,,id feel lucky to be sitting in Passiac and be able to hear say
some traffic down in Cape May..thats just me though..

PM08203

Premium Subscriber
-NJ TRS: since you mentioned you live in South Jersey I live in Somers Point and also have a 396xt programmed with all the NJ TRS frequencies. I pick up all Troop A & C, statewide and the simulcast TGs. I don't recall ever receiving any Troop B TG.

-Atlantic County TRS: As the other post indicate nearly all the police are pro voice except the sheriff, Brigantine and Stockton. Hamilton Twp PD is enc. I would suggest that you put in all the sites. Most everyone hits the Mays Landing site since the county jail is there and radio comms need to be maintained during transports from the local PD to the jail.
Some of the local FDs maintain their own VHF freqs and are not on the TRS. Most FDs simulcast at least the initial TRS dispatch on VHF. Also, Somers Point, Linwood and Pville PDs are still VHF. And of course Atlantic City is a whole different animal.

scannersnstuff

based on my somewhat limited knowledge of what i've seen & heard, i don't know about northstar being simulcasted all the time. i also must say that i don't listen to njsp most of the time because of the horrid reception of holmdel's c.c. here at my home. sidenote - i hope that the wall simulcast will change my reception problem's. i pointed out to a friend, that i seem to get south aviation all the time,but not north aviation. he suggested that maybe north aviation wasn't as busy as south. about a year ago i was just south of sandy hook park, northstar had a job there for a trauma victim.i heard all the comm's over the normal monmouth county fire channel's for the job. i was clearly picking up the holmdel c.c. . i never once heard any comm's from northstar, except over monmouth fire 3 <l/z coordination channel>. northstar lifted off of sandy hook l/z and flew right over me. they took the rt 36 path to jersey shore university trauma center.

note - i must add that the state of n.j. is under no obligation whatsoever to provide me with radio entertainment. heck, they have enough of their own problem's.

Last edited by a moderator:

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Troop A doesn't carry any of the Troop B police talkgroups but every now and then you may hear some ESP action on the Troop A site. But if you can still monitor Troop C, which I think you can from the Hammonton area, you may be in luck and you can hear Troop B 5-Comm north and sometimes 1-comm. As far as the Atlantic County EDACS goes for the Hammonton area you may want to program in the Mays Landing Site because the Hammonton does not carry hardly any monitorable traffic. But you program in Mays Landing and you'll get most of the EMS talkgroups and some Fire from the different towns. But Hammonton EMS and FD are on VHF still.

Status
Not open for further replies.