Make wiki available offline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulshahn

I find the wiki to be a valuable resource to me as a scanner operator, and I would like to take it into the field where I have little or poor internet access.

I noticed the wiki is made using media wiki software. There is an offline reader called kiwix that can read offline versions of wiki media based wiki's. For example, all of wikipedia is available in an offline format.

The only catch is that the site admin or owner has to run a utility to create an offline package of the site. This is what they call a "zim" file. Kiwix volunteers state they will help anyone with this process.

Would site admins or wiki admins have an interest in making the wiki portion of this site readable offline?

ecps92

Print to PDF or copy to MS Excel

I find the wiki to be a valuable resource to me as a scanner operator, and I would like to take it into the field where I have little or poor internet access.

I noticed the wiki is made using media wiki software. There is an offline reader called kiwix that can read offline versions of wiki media based wiki's. For example, all of wikipedia is available in an offline format.

The only catch is that the site admin or owner has to run a utility to create an offline package of the site. This is what they call a "zim" file. Kiwix volunteers state they will help anyone with this process.

Would site admins or wiki admins have an interest in making the wiki portion of this site readable offline?

paulshahn

To download the entire radioreference wiki with that approach, I would have to click on each page in the wiki, and then print to pdf. Then the hyperlinks would not connect to the rest of the PDF's that I had downloaded, but back to the web site (which I would not be able to access).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While the wiki is a resource, keep in mind that our official database is the RadioRef database; and you CAN download that data in either PDF or .csv (comma separated value) format if you are a premium subscriber.

The wiki is a user maintained resource, and as such, mistakes and errors should be expected. The database is somewhat more stringent in its accuracy

Mike

paulshahn

If I knew I needed to know something before setting out-- then I suppose I would learn it before leaving and would not need to download or store reference material. It would be great if life worked in such a fashion, but it doesn't. For example, what if I find a scanner at a garage sale? It would be awesome to look up the wiki page for it on my phone... but ah no internet. Should I buy it for $10. Without more information, I don't know...

The offline reader lets you read and search the entire contents (as a reference) without having to have an internet connection. All I am saying is It would be great to have that ability in the field (on a smartphone, tablet or laptop) and if the admin's agree then it wouldn't be much work to have Kiwix convert it into one downloadable package for you.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Perhaps try this:

kd5ryo

I registered just to reply to this. I found this thread because I went searching for a zim file for radio reference. I'm not related to them but, as stated, the Kiwix team will help anyone with this task. Here's their contact info: Contact – Kiwix. I would love to be able to use the Radio Reference wiki in Kiwix! If it helps to show the usefulness of this at all, there are already tons of sites with content packages: https://wiki.kiwix.org/wiki/Content_in_all_languages

This is useful not only for the field but when Internet access isn't available (or if you have a poor connection). Keeping an offline copy of the Radio Reference wiki would be just as handy as having books on your shelf. Doubly so for this because sometimes we don't have Internet access but there's still radio all around us.

Status
Not open for further replies.