Making a second favorites list on Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
Am I overthinking this? I have a favorites list, and it does function, but its quite extensive. I'd like to make a second or third and maybe even 4th list. I monitor 2 counties mainly, but also take interest in a few more and I can receive them where I live, so I'd like to have a collection of favorites lists that I can quickly switch to especially if we have an incident. When I try to create another list though, it seems to be part of the favorite list I already have. Do I need to create a new profile? Or is it something else? Thanks in advance, I have a few other questions, but we'll start with this.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Click the star-with-pencil icon. Then click the "NEW FAVORITES LIST" button at the bottom of that window.

MORSEMAN

Premium Subscriber
Here in Phoenix. We have a complex group of systems to monitor. I thought it might help you for me to explain how I have mine setup.
I have 30 Favorites lists. These are grouped under 3 profiles. Each profile has different favorites lists checked to scan.
I just open the profile I wish to scan in Sentinel and the Download that Profile to the scanner.
You can use a similar method to reduce the amount of systems or departments that you are scanning to focus on just the police or fire or your local precinct.
In your case of monitoring 2 counties you could create separate favorites’ lists for each counties PD, Fire, State PD, EMT’s etc. You can then create multiple Profiles to represent the counties and the separate services in each county that you wish to group together and scan.
The only drawback is that you would have to reload each profile into the scanner from the computer but you could create a profile with all Favorites lists checked and then after its downloaded turn off what you don’t want to hear.
Everyone has different ideas about how best to do this and I just tried to keep it simple for myself.
I hope this is clear and of some help.

joeuser

The Wretched
Thoughtful setup. I only have one system I listen to. I made a HomeScan fave with everything I care to hear but only trunked as I have other rigs for conventional stuff. I made another fave for travelling. Then others for conventional radio - FRS/GMRS, biz band, marine, hams, etc. I use them when I'm out & about & depending on what strikes my fancy. Only 1 profile.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned above, you can create several Favorites Lists. The only "hitch" is you cannot use the same Favorites List Quick Key for more than one Favorites List.

Sentinel is very robust, meaning you can go about accomplishing what you want to do several ways. Some folks do things one way and others do something else. It's a lot like "cat skinning".

For my two 536 scanners (one in the house, the other in my truck), I've got some 19 Favorites Lists. Most of these are pertinent to my home area. Some are for when I travel north.

I have created three profiles (House Scanner, Car Local and Car Travel). I'll turn download and monitor on as appropriate for each of these profiles. I then write each profile to it's own SD card. Depending upon which scanner and whether I'm local or traveling, I'll insert the appropriate SD card in the scanner.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone for your great suggestions! So far so good, made one new favorite list, and will make more. I don't think I'll use the method where I need to hook up the scanner to the computer that often because I don't do that much anyway, but I will make some new lists and synch them to the scanner and see how it goes.

joeuser

The Wretched
I just use the list selection myself, from the menu.

You can sure do that BUT if you dont stay up to date with the RR database you will probably be missing stuff! Rethink the Net connection!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
I connect about once a week to check for updates. I got tired last night, but I put all the new favorite lists on the scanner but it only keeps going through all the frequencies but never actually stops on anything. I know it's missing stuff because my older scanner is picking up things. Had this with my first favorite list but can't remember exactly how I fixed it, it was a setting in sentinel, something about service types I think.

MORSEMAN

Premium Subscriber
When you create your favorites lists under each profile in Sentinel select Edit/Profile and select the Service Types tab and check all of the service types before you append the data to the favorites list.

Status
Not open for further replies.