Making Austin Spectra harder to steal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0381

My buddy just bought an Austin Spectra and doesnt like having to remove it all the time as it does stress the copper bendable connection inside the mountin casing. What he may want to do is dirll holes in the base and install special set screws maybe the kind that needs a torx wrench to unscrew.

Can I ask what others do to protect the saftey of an expensive antenna that only needs to be screwed off by hand to remove it.

Thanks

Chris

Al42

Chris0381 said:
My buddy just bought an Austin Spectra and doesnt like having to remove it all the time as it does stress the copper bendable connection inside the mountin casing. What he may want to do is dirll holes in the base and install special set screws maybe the kind that needs a torx wrench to unscrew.
You mean the kind of Torx driver you can buy in any Sears for a couple of bucks? I don't think that would stop anyone who really wants to steal it.

Chris0381

We it is unlikely people who are looking for an opportunity to steal an antenna carry a torx wrench with them. But if the opportunity arose and all they had to do was unscrew the antenna by hand they would take it.

No if they had thier mind set on stealing this particular antenna and had it planned out, then that is another story.
So what do people do with these expensive antennas just leave them on the car providing opportunity for a theft?

gg750

I've had my Spectra on the back of my car for over a year now...no theft. I don't think most people in the general public even know what the antenna is or what its for, and therefore have no use for it. Even most die-hard theifs wouldn't know what it is or what it's worth, and if it's of no value to them and they are unaware of it market value, I doubt they'd take the time or risk to steal it either. Now leaving your scanner out in the open in an unlocked car is just asking to be stolen, but we're talking about the difference between electronics (all electronics have value in the street) and a metal rod with some plastic pieces on it. To most people it doesn't look valuable, and therefore wouldn't be at risk of theft. I understand your point thought...I'd be pretty damn mad if someone stole my $70 antenna.

G

Chris0381

Snip

"understand your point thought...I'd be pretty damn mad if someone stole my $70 antenna."

Exactly.

I came a cross a formn about stolen equipment and there were people who had thier mobile and base antennas stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.