Making Log sheets on Excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Ok So I haven't used Excel since high school.

What I would like to do is make log sheets using excel for redcross/races events. Basically I want one cell to be time then the next to be unit/shelter and the next cell to be callsign, and then next to be a comments section to record what they are reporting. I'm just trying to make a tablet so logging will be easier and clear vs. just jotting stuff down on a pad, my hand writing is not the best in the world.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Just open up Excel and label the columns across the top. It's easy and you're not putting any formulas into the spreadsheet. Right-click on each column and select "Format Cells" and then give each column the type of formatting that you desire, i.e., time (13:30), date (12SEP2010) and so on.

If you freeze the top line, then it won't matter how far you scroll, you'll always be able to read the headers.

I have one that I made here, but I can't seem to upload it. If you want it, let me know.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Scott, If you wouldn't mind I'd like to see how your is set up, I'm just trying to make things more neat so the desk isn't always cluttered with paper. My email is holmes dot scott at symbol y mail dot com

hockeyshrink

Ok So I haven't used Excel since high school.

What I would like to do is make log sheets using excel for redcross/races events. Basically I want one cell to be time then the next to be unit/shelter and the next cell to be callsign, and then next to be a comments section to record what they are reporting. I'm just trying to make a tablet so logging will be easier and clear vs. just jotting stuff down on a pad, my hand writing is not the best in the world.

If you are just capturing alphanumeric data that you will not need to perform mathematical operations upon, it may be easier to set up a table in Word than trying to use Excel. In Word, just "Table > Insert > Table..." and tell it how many rows and columns you want. You can adjust the margins, add labels, and format the cells from there.

Excel is great for spreadsheets and pivot tables, but is overkill for just words and nominal data, IMHO.

stevelton

Our local county sheriff dept does not have CAD, so they just have 1 base radio and a computer with MS word. They have it set up with cell tables, a column for time, unit, traffic.

While I was the director of communications with our county EMA, we did almost the same thing ,but with open office, and a few more columns for other needed info. At the end of each event, we would save the log as pdf, and close the log file without saving so the next time you opened it up, it would be clear and ready. I can email you the file we used for this if you are interested.
Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.