Maldol AL-500HS

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceans777

Listener
I know there have been other posts about this incredible VHF/UHF airband antenna but
I just discovered there is an SMA version - AL-500HS - and finally have it for the BCD396T.
This antenna is amazing on the BCD396T - which can be very touchy with many antennas.

It would be hard to overstate how well this antenna picks up VHF air and also UHF - I have not used it as much for UHF air yet but can pick it up no problem.
In fact, when running the BCD396T and Icom IC-R20 at home, I leave the AL-500's on them for local 400 MHz police, fire, LAPD APCO-25, etc and they get great signal.

Also have to say that when my Maldol AHW100RX antenna broke a few weeks back I sent it to NGA and they replaced it with no hassle at all.

Just passing it along. Link to info from Universal Radio - HRO drop-shipped mine from NGA for $49.95
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1687.html

Last edited:

FrankJ

I tried one awhile back and I wasn't that impressed. It seemed to work the same on VHF and UHF Air as my Diamond RH-77CA. Maybe I would have kept it if the price was $20 or $25. The fact that it was $50, I sold it and used the money toward a used scanner!

Frank

Uplink

I was thinking about picking up one of these, just wondering...

The descricption on the Maldol AL-500HS antenna says "telescopic whip antenna is 20 inches".

Does anyone know, is this really a collapsing type "telescoping" antenna? Doesn't look like it in the pic. Or, is is flexible like a typical HT antenna?

:confused::confused::confused:

thanks!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
FrankJ said:
I tried one awhile back and I wasn't that impressed. It seemed to work the same on VHF and UHF Air as my Diamond RH-77CA. Maybe I would have kept it if the price was $20 or $25. The fact that it was $50, I sold it and used the money toward a used scanner!

Frank

I agree with FrankJ. I tried the Maldol AL-500HS and although it did work well, I don't believe it worked any better than the Diamond RH-77CA either. So I guess it's a coin toss. The only other thing to note, the Maldol AL-500 series is extremely flexible, almost too much so. This might be a plus in protecting the small SMA connectors on some scanners like the BCD396T, or preventing you from poking your eye out. The RH-77CA is a little more rigid, like most other rubber duck antennas, which is my personal preference. There's no technical justification for the Maldol costing almost twice as much as the Diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.