male sma connection seems faulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

robocock8191

Hi guys,
I got my RTL-SDR dongle with the dipole antenna kit it comes with.
At first it was working perfectly, I was picking up the local Government Radio Network which is digital P25 phase 2.
Over a few days it got harder to find the signal, with alot of fiddlng and finagling the wires to get a signal.
I had a look today, and the pin in the male sma connector seems very short! I gently tried pulling it out with some needle nose pliers, and it seemed very loose. The gravity of just inverting it is enough for the pin the fall in the other direction. :(

What can I do to fix this thing? I have another dipole kit being sent over for a different defect I had noticed earlier. But its gonna take a couple weeks to get here from China. I'm really bummed out that I've barely had my new toy for a week and I'm unable to play with it :(

spongella

Hey robo, nice to hear someone using an RTL-SDR like myself. I've experienced those pins breaking off and repairing it all depends on the quality of the antenna. What you could do is remove the bad connector and try carefully stripping the coax to expose the center wire. If you can somehow connect the center wire to the female connector and hold it in place in the meantime that might help, but it's not an easy fix. I suggest you try another company that might make a better quality antenna, like Nooelec. They are in the USA and are very dependable.

Also a great site for SDR is www.rtl-sdr.com, they may have info on a better replacement antenna. Hope this helps.

robocock8191

rtl-sdr.com is where i got my sdr dongle from, and they are the ones sending me a replacement.
I did manage to find a fix on youtube. By soldering the male pin onto the centre wire to fix the connection. luckily my replacement antenna arrived so I didn't have to bother :)

Status
Not open for further replies.