Military Malfunctioning Transmitter--BEE-36?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaMike

I've kind of been off HF monitoring for a while, but when I got on tonight I came across what looks like a malfunctioning transmitter with an idling signal on 3978u on 24 Jan, 0908z. I've seen it in years past, and I can't remember if it's Russian BEE-36 or something else. Can anyone ID this?

When I found it, it was stable as can be seen at the very bottom of the waterfall screenshot in the link below, but it almost immediately began swinging up and down in frequency like I've never seen before. Whatever the problem was, it looks like they discovered it and pulled the plug in about 20 minutes.

Audio:

Waterfall screenshot:

Audio capture began at about 0908z, and it ceased transmitting at 0926z.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A quick sweep of the UDXF logs doesn't show anything...it's certainly possible it's a malfunctioning transmitter but in the 75 meter ham band?

By the way the Worldwide Utility News group morphed into the Utility DXers Forum on groups.io. If you're into the non-broadcast side of things, this is where you want to be...

Mike

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Stuff happens, mistakes are made.

Comes to mind one incident about 7 years ago, fax test page being received with black tone at exactly 14.000 MHz (white tone higher and in the ham band) - the transmitting station was clearly identified on the page - a USCG station!
It took me (former USN ET) and another gent (former USN CMDR working in comms) over half an hour to convince the OIC of the offending facility that we were for real and knew what we were talking about. (It got fixed).

I've seen Ham PSK31 transmissions running idle for long periods... I'd guess the ops had forgotten to switch back to RX after a QSO.

Stuff happens; catching it on the air is one of the amusements of the radio hobby!

AlaskaMike

Agreed about mistakes happening. I was actually in the 75m ham band intentionally, looking for ham stuff. It didn't surprise me to find this though--the Russians (military branches anyhow) don't seem to recognize ham bands. I've seen a lot of their stuff in 75m, 40m and 20m bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.