mall call boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
A mall was recently constructed in my town. I notaced the P.D. call boxes, and what looked like a phantom antenna on top of the solar pannel. What I was wondering is if I they would be in the range of most scanners (unlike radio commercial fire alarms) and who they would be licenced to (Police, Private security contracter, ect.) Any help on this topic or simmilar would be greatly appreciated.

fineshot1

Without a make & model number or at least a pic of the call box it would be difficult to tell. Did you try walking up to one and looking for a make/model/SN tag??

Also - its doubtfull that it would be licensed to a security contractor as they come and go. Its more likely licensed to the mall management but that could be from the home office which may be in another state so a fcc license search may not turn anything up for you.

RodStrong

jcop225 said:
A mall was recently constructed in my town. I notaced the P.D. call boxes, and what looked like a phantom antenna on top of the solar pannel.

You call them "PD call boxes". Is there something on the box (such as the word "Police") that makes you call them "PD" boxes, or is that just speculation on your part? Is this a box that can be opened by anyone? If so, open it up and look inside. What are the instructions to use the box, if any?

Here's some speculation on my part. It is probably linked to the mall security frequency (if the mall has its own security). Typically call box and/or phone patch calls are linked to the mall security primary channel so they all can hear it (especially the graveyard shift guy who may feasibly be alone and mobile, not at a phone all night). Find that out and you might eventually figure out what the call box freq. is. If you see any of the security folks, look at their radios. You can tell a lot about the freq. range by looking at the radio and antenna (in many cases, not all). Good luck.

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
This made me think of what other boxes like that they're are...

What about the highway call boxes you tend to see? Are those cellular, or are they hooked up to the local dispatch, etc?

Don_Burke

MrRevesz said:

What about the highway call boxes you tend to see? Are those cellular, or are they hooked up to the local dispatch, etc?

All of the above, plus.

There are very few of those boxes around here, but in other parts of the country they are pretty common.

I googled it the last time this came up and there are many configurations available.

ampulman

RodStrong said:
You call them "PD call boxes". Is there something on the box (such as the word "Police") that makes you call them "PD" boxes, or is that just speculation on your part? Is this a box that can be opened by anyone? If so, open it up and look inside. What are the instructions to use the box, if any?

Here's some speculation on my part. It is probably linked to the mall security frequency (if the mall has its own security). Typically call box and/or phone patch calls are linked to the mall security primary channel so they all can hear it (especially the graveyard shift guy who may feasibly be alone and mobile, not at a phone all night). Find that out and you might eventually figure out what the call box freq. is. If you see any of the security folks, look at their radios. You can tell a lot about the freq. range by looking at the radio and antenna (in many cases, not all). Good luck.

This sounds logical. I have a hospital a mile or two away as the crow flies. While monitoring, I picked up their securty frequency.
It was a very cold morning; a nurse had just ended her shift, couldn't get her car started and called security for help (a jump).

Heard both sides of the conversation.

AM

ecps92

most of the ones [New England region] along the Highway are in the 72 Mhz band
and only send data when a Button is pushed [Police, Fire, Medical, Disabled]

Many of the Campus and Mall units might have Voice as well, and many have been found illegally using GMRS

MrRevesz said:

Status
Not open for further replies.