Mammoth/June Mtn Ski Areas Comm System Change

crush1

I think the as built licensing will show some changes as they are not following the plan shown in the new licenses as this point. The control frequencies are from the old system, but I think the locations are still Lincoln Mtn. and Chair 12 given the strength and quality of the signals. A signal on top of the top of Mammoth Mountain would be stronger than what I'm picking up on the two new data channels.

The audio is perfect for me on both sites (wherever they are) from near the base of Eagle for what it's worth. I thought site 2 was stronger but rotating my handheld scanner slightly basically reverses it and site 5 is stronger, so I'm not much of a help there.

Last edited:

crush1

Scanner worked whenever I took it out w/ no antenna on the mountain. Site 2 appears to be Lincoln mountain (tons of antennas up there). Could hear site 2 and 5 from Lincoln with site 2 being very strong. Site 5 the summit (summit was closed but got close from top of 23 and full strength w/ no antenna up there), and previously unknown Site 4 appears to be Chair 12 (strong at chair 12). (Makes sense doesn't come in from eagle lodge area given mountains in the way). Site 4 worked on the backside which seems to confirm chair 12 and it came in strong at top of chair 2 too.

Site 4's control channel is 855.3625. I'll have to program what I suspect it would be based on the others and try to get the LCNs sometime. One could park at main lodge and it should come in well.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Scanner worked whenever I took it out w/ no antenna on the mountain. Site 2 appears to be Lincoln mountain (tons of antennas up there). Could hear site 2 and 5 from Lincoln with site 2 being very strong. Site 5 the summit (summit was closed but got close from top of 23 and full strength w/ no antenna up there), and previously unknown Site 4 appears to be Chair 12 (strong at chair 12). (Makes sense doesn't come in from eagle lodge area given mountains in the way). Site 4 worked on the backside which seems to confirm chair 12 and it came in strong at top of chair 2 too.

Site 4's control channel is 855.3625. I'll have to program what I suspect it would be based on the others and try to get the LCNs sometime. One could park at main lodge and it should come in well.

Thanks for the confirmation, nothing beats actually going up there and checking first hand! :)

That’s pretty uncommon for a trunking system to have so many sites so close together, but with all the nooks and crannies of the terrain on the mountain I guess they want to be really really sure. It also helps that the radios are automatically comparing the control channel from each site and picking the strongest, so the user never has to mess with that, the radio just “works”.

Somewhere I have photos from an old phone of the antenna farm on top of one of the lifts (maybe Chair 12?) back when it was the Motorola Type I system. I remember being impressed by how many antennas and coax and boxes they managed to fit in the mezzanine of that lift building. :)

officer_415

Database Admin

I'm sure you already have them, but the Site 4 freqs should be from this pool.

jrholm

They have the same parent company as Bear Mountain resorts near me. I hope they are further down the line for a radio upgrade as I am too

crush1

I'm sure you already have them, but the Site 4 freqs should be from this pool.

I went for a walk up to Minaret Vista and let the LCN finder run on Site 4 and it worked for 6 of the 7 channels I programmed, I assumed like the other sites it would be the first 7 channels but maybe should have programmed more. I'm wondering if the control channel was the same as last time now w/ that 207 result on 855.5875

1675369622971.png

officer_415

Database Admin
The only one that doesn't make sense is 207, calculating it backwards from the frequency I think it should be 127.