Man arrested for scanner in vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogbobo

to clear this up, he wasn't arrested for having just a scanner ... he was arrested becasue he was in a cvpi with a freaking blue strobe and a siren and a scanner as well ... and, we don't need nuts that have been convicted of armed robbery to be driving cars like this anyway ... read the article

hoser147

He's a whacker imposter, Robbery and fraud, he was try'n to turn his life around :roll: Sounds like the scanner is something extra to charge the clown with.............Hoser

Utah_Viper

Yeah, this was NOT for having a scanner at all. The one thing I could see though is getting charges for having a scanner while committing other crimes, which can be serious.
Inside Fred D. Houston Jr.'s car, police say they found a police scanner installed inside with a megaphone and CB phone, a short-distance radio commonly used by truck drivers.

What is a CB Phone?? I never knew CB had Auto-Patch available /end sarcasm

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Freakin Loser, now Imagine a loser like this pulling an unsuspecting lady over at 3AM
He would really be dangerous, Ted Bundy Tried a Stunt like that in SLC but his VW Bug was less impressive, but a decked out crown vic, jeez

jleverin

Sounds like they did the right thing arresting him, it wasn't for the scanner. It was for possibly impersonating a police officer in order to prey on the unsuspecting public. He had no business with blue lights and crap on a Crown Vic, he was probably planning on or already had been stopping people. I can almost see why the cops go after people that like to drive Crown Vics and have scanners sometimes. These weirdos that do this stuff are sick and are usually up to no good. They give those of us of whom scanning is just a hobby a bad rap and they NEED to be locked up! Damn, nuts like that make me mad! They will ruin the hobby for all of us....

N8IAA

jleverin said:
Sounds like they did the right thing arresting him, it wasn't for the scanner. It was for possibly impersonating a police officer in order to prey on the unsuspecting public. He had no business with blue lights and crap on a Crown Vic, he was probably planning on or already had been stopping people. I can almost see why the cops go after people that like to drive Crown Vics and have scanners sometimes. These weirdos that do this stuff are sick and are usually up to no good. They give those of us of whom scanning is just a hobby a bad rap and they NEED to be locked up! Damn, nuts like that make me mad! They will ruin the hobby for all of us....

I drive an Impala with antennae and radios---------

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
More reason to get rid of unmarked police cars.. atleast for traffic enforcement. You don't have to stop for them in Ohio. You have to drive to a police station or wait for a marked unit. I hate driving through the south, do they even mark any police cars anymore down there? There are a ton of CVPIs and half of them just look like self appointed 'poolease'. High visibility of police, and overall safety have taken a backseat to outright revenuing. I bet these stories are not that uncommon, it is too easy to make any Crown Vic look like the real deal.

hoser147

KB8KOJ said:
More reason to get rid of unmarked police cars.. atleast for traffic enforcement. You don't have to stop for them in Ohio. You have to drive to a police station or wait for a marked unit. I hate driving through the south, do they even mark any police cars anymore down there? There are a ton of CVPIs and half of them just look like self appointed 'poolease'. High visibility of police, and overall safety have taken a backseat to outright revenuing. I bet these stories are not that uncommon, it is too easy to make any Crown Vic look like the real deal.

I have to agree with that, usually the windows are tinted black so that you cant see the driver, then you have departments that drive about anything as far as different types of cars, for safety"s sake I would be reluctant to stop along the highway for one of these type cars. Once coming thru Tennessee a group of cars went by doing about 85 mph and last one was an Olds Cutlass, he didnt have the windows tinted but had ball caps on top of the lights in the rear deck and pulled the whole group over, just pulled up beside them and motioned them over to the side. Wonder how long it took to get them all wrote up............hoser

jleverin

Didn't mean to offend anyone who drives a crown vic or impala or anything that possibly is the same type of car that cops drive but really, I have said it before and will say it again: unless one is a volunteer or professional in the local police, fire or EMS, they don't need to be running with ANY type of lights or sirens or anything like it on their vehicle. This guy was running around with blue lights on his vehicle. The scanner is another issue, I sometimes carry a portable scanner with me when I'm out. I just don't see WHY someone would want lights on their car unless they:A want to pull people over with em orB: make people get the heck out of their way. Good way to cause an accident, I've seen the way people react when they see lights in their rear view mirror. People have the right to drive what ever type of car they want and I see no problem with radios and antennas on them, but the lights and stuff are another matter. I just hate to see a few bad apples like this get scanners completely banned for the rest of us who just like to listen. Here in CO they are still pretty lenient about scanners but I know they are banned in some states for obvious reasons.

climberkid

KM4FFB
when you say people shouldnt have lights on their cars are you just referring to blue, red, or green lights? i have a mini amber light bar and some leds in the back and front window, all amber. i use them when i pull over on the side of the highway to help stranded motorists. i know for a fact that that is allowed. im not trying to make you feel bad or implying that you should be more specific. i completely agree with you that there is no reason for people that arent LEO or FF or SEC to have lights, especially to move people out of the way; and i am not saying i am the exception. i just think that my reason for having lights is valid, and people appreciate it.

GeorgeMason

That has got to be the dumbest story I have every read. Just by driving around in a crown victoria with an antenna means your impersonating a law enforcement officer?

What proof do they have that this person ever pulled over anyone?

Do the blue lights in the BACK of the vehicle work?

Once again the media likes to exaggerate to make a story that really isnt there.

and oh yea, Everyone knows there is no such thing as a police scanner..............

Last edited:

steveh552

I think they should basically make certain color lights for certain emergency vehicles. Say blue for police red for fire and so forth. It seems most states have their own rules about it. We had a volunteer firemen in a village 5 miles from here that ran blue lights for the longest time because they were all he had when he lived in the North East, they ended up making him get them changed to red. In Columbus, the service trucks, like on the highway, have red lights on them. The mix in light colors among areas really can confuse drivers, just as unmarked police cars in areas that allow them to do traffic enforcement. Id have a hard time stopping for an unmarked car unless I called in to the dispatch number to have them confirm with their units if they were trying to make a stop on me, you just never know what the criminals will do to get what you have.

This story reminds me of my first car at 16. My dad bought me an old sheriffs car, it was still black in white, and I was really big on CB at the time so it had one or two antennas on it. I dont know how many times going down the road you would hear the truckers say that a unmarked unit just passed them.

gcr33

To the person with the amber lights, are you in the tow truck road service business or a CB good buddy?

Blue lights are only allowed to be used on Law Enforcement vehicles in Florida. No to the question about having them in the back.

Do you want a POJ playing cop with his crown vic? BTW it's not down South where unmarked cars are used for traffic enforcement, it's nationwide. Are you sure on the Ohio law that says you don't have to stop for a law enforcement vehicle or is this something you decided?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
climberkid said:
...i use them when i pull over on the side of the highway to help stranded motorists...

Is this for a legitimate roadside service organization, or is this just something that you do?

If I was stranded on the highyway, and someone pulled up behind me in their personal vehicle decked out with flashing ambers, I'd tell them to take a hike. AAA is already on the way...

xpawel15x

From the article:
"Fred D. Houston Jr., 41, of Richmond, Va., was arrested about 8:30 a.m. on charges of having a police scanner and a blue light installed in his car, both misdemeanors"

Is having a scanner installed in your vehicle a misdemeanor in the state of Florida?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
xpawel15x said:
From the article:
"Fred D. Houston Jr., 41, of Richmond, Va., was arrested about 8:30 a.m. on charges of having a police scanner and a blue light installed in his car, both misdemeanors"

Is having a scanner installed in your vehicle a misdemeanor in the state of Florida?

Yes unless you fit the exemption criteria.

climberkid

KM4FFB
gcr33:
i just do it myself, but plan on making something more out of it in the future.

zz0468:
i understand how you would feel like you wouldnt want just anyone stopping to help you, but all the times i have stopped nobody has had any doubts that i am there to help and nothing else. some people you might not want to help you. its about how they act, how they look, and how they approach you. if i ever run into someone that doesnt want help i would respectfully wish them a safe drive when they have recovered and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.