Man, grandson killed in collision with Massillon Fire truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmoats

According to photos posted on the Canton " Repository " web site, the E-ONE apparatus was spared from major damage due to its extended front bumper. All 4 firefighters manning the truck were taken to area hospitals, but will be OK.

medic611

Simply put you stop for stop signs, red lights, ect. Gone are the days of driving 60 mph in town. The days of having a CDL to drive apparatus are fast approaching, and eventually you will see the liability fall more upon the driver of the vehicle more than they govt. entity in my opinion.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
medic611 said:
Simply put you stop for stop signs, red lights, ect. Gone are the days of driving 60 mph in town.

I hadn't heard that the fire truck ran a stop light/sign, let alone was traveling at 60mph... Is there an updated story somewhere?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
xusmarine1979 said:
Try this or cantonrep.com

Thanks, but that is already posted above. Nothing in there indicates the excessive speed and/or running of a stop sign.

medic611

rdale , its happened time after time what i posted earlier were general comments, not directed at this accident however the damage via the pics on the following link tends to shed a little bit of light on the possibilites on speed, and weither or not the ladder involved stopped at the intersection before going through it. Plenty of departments are changing response procedures to prevent a accident of this nature.

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?65213

jerk

rdale said:
Thanks, but that is already posted above. Nothing in there indicates the excessive speed and/or running of a stop sign.
Four way stop with flashing red lights. Van was hit broadside and pushed 100 yards...
Both could have run the stop sign, but it sounds like the firetruck driver was at fault. And all for a truck fire. Sounds like some major EVOC training is in order.
Here's a quote from Ohio.com
"The State Highway Patrol is investigating the crash at Johnson Street and Walnut Road Southeast at about 8:30 a.m. The intersection is a four-way stop with signs and flashing overhead red lights. The ladder truck struck the driver's side door of Anderson's 1996 Dodge Caravan and pushed the vehicle about 110 yards before stopping nearly a block away at 13th Street."

Here's another quote from Ohio.Com
"Lt. Joel Smith of the highway patrol said an investigation could take several weeks to reconstruct the crash, including determining the ladder truck's speed, and to check its brakes and assess a cause.

Witnesses who talked to troopers said the sirens and lights were working. Others identifying themselves as witnesses told reporters they heard no sirens, but those people have not yet spoken to troopers, Smith said."

hoser147

Ya it was a truck fire, that had rolled towards a residence, which the caller stated yes to the truck being by a house. Lots of pieces to the puzzle to apply blame at this point. The article implies that possibly the driver of the van was hearing impaired, as for being pushed the 100 yards,there are also lots of pieces, the fire truck driver, could have been knocked unconscious or his foot could have been pinned on the accelerator or something mech. damaged during the collision. Im sure the OSP will do a very intense investigation into the matter and the facts of the accident. Hoser

jerk

hoser147 said:
Ya it was a truck fire, that had rolled towards a residence, which the caller stated yes to the truck being by a house. Lots of pieces to the puzzle to apply blame at this point. The article implies that possibly the driver of the van was hearing impaired, as for being pushed the 100 yards,there are also lots of pieces, the fire truck driver, could have been knocked unconscious or his foot could have been pinned on the accelerator or something mech. damaged during the collision. Im sure the OSP will do a very intense investigation into the matter and the facts of the accident. Hoser
The firefighters were all right after the accident... The fire service needs to change the way they respond... I'm sure you've seen it, the full throttle run for a grass fire or dumpster or trash fire. Take a modern day EVOC course, times have changed, 100 years of tradition unimpeded by change days are over. Almost every day there are news articles of emergency vehicle crashes. We are killing each other and the people we are supposed to be helping.
What's the old adage: "We will risk a lot to save a lot. We will risk a little to save a little, and we will risk nothing to save nothing."

A truck and a residence are nothing compared to the lives of firefighters and they people they were paid to protect. And the dispatcher only had to ask, anybody in danger... St Louis went to silent response and cut their accident rate in half or more. This truck in my opinion should have been routine response until the first unit was on scene and had made a proper size-up.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
medic611 said:
... and eventually you will see the liability fall more upon the driver of the vehicle more than they govt. entity in my opinion.

Any lawyer will always go after the "deepest pockets" which is the city and not the $50,000 a year firefighter. These "rats in suits" have only their own payday in mind.

SLWilson

Helo...

FPO703 said:
Is Plane 1 a Helo or a plane?
Plane #1 for OSP is actually a chopper...See below....
Steve/KB8FAR :lol:

Attachments

• OSP Chopper Number 1.JPG
    OSP Chopper Number 1.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 407

hoser147

newsalan said:
The firefighters were all right after the accident... The fire service needs to change the way they respond... I'm sure you've seen it, the full throttle run for a grass fire or dumpster or trash fire. Take a modern day EVOC course, times have changed, 100 years of tradition unimpeded by change days are over. Almost every day there are news articles of emergency vehicle crashes. We are killing each other and the people we are supposed to be helping.
What's the old adage: "We will risk a lot to save a lot. We will risk a little to save a little, and we will risk nothing to save nothing."

A truck and a residence are nothing compared to the lives of firefighters and they people they were paid to protect. And the dispatcher only had to ask, anybody in danger... St Louis went to silent response and cut their accident rate in half or more. This truck in my opinion should have been routine response until the first unit was on scene and had made a proper size-up.
Most have went to an EVOC course many years ago, here you retake it annually and have to log 8hrs extra vehicle time in each vehicle. It only takes a few seconds to brake and make sure that intersection is clear and go on. Ive seen some invincible cowboys that blow intersections that send a chill up your spine. Even worse is the POV will a little dashlite thinking they are king of the road. Something obviously happened to push that minivan down the road 100yards. It will be interesting to see what the investigation turns up.....Hoser

HoytKlagwell

Premium Subscriber
Fire truck, police car, and volunteer's personal vehicles are all public safety vehicles in the state of Ohio. Only an ambulance falls under the emergency vehicle catagory. Check this out in the ORC. Those of us who are volunteers check out the stickers on your vehicle it says it right there, public safety. The ORC says drivers of public safety and emergency vehicle must respond with due regard for safety. Yes we are exempted from speed limits, stopping at stop signs and so forth but we must do so with due regard for safety. We are held responsible for our actions if we don't.

I speak from experience. While driving an apparatus a "citizen" made a left turn in front of me into a private drive. I struck the rear corner of his car while still in my lane. No one was injuried however our local police decide to cite both of us as he felt my doing 35 in a 45 mph zone was unsafe due to traffic conditions. I fought it in court and won. The judge felt my driving was safe and the other driver clearly was at fault making a left turn in from of me. Also the state patrol should have investigated and not the local PD. It was a wake up call for my department as we thought we are emergency vehicles and are exepemted.

I'm sure the driver in this accident will be cited if the OSP feels he was driving without due regard for safety. There really is no excuse for unsafe driving on anyones part (if it was). What good can dead firefighters do?

Status
Not open for further replies.