Manassas/Manassas Park TRS Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

For the past 12 days I visited my youngest son who recently bought a home in Manassas Park. I was able to temporarily install a RS rf preamped Scantenna mounted outside on a 2 story window ledge connected to a pre-programed 996XT for most Va. localities. For any file changes I used a laptop and Butel ARC software. After rebanding the trs frequencies for the Manassas/Manassa Park trs with the audio set to "All" I received excellent reception from Manassas city. Due to other time commitments I was not able to monitor much during days but was able to do so at nights.

I received Manassas city main PD dispatch and Tac 1 talkgroups fine but I never received the Manassas Park PD talkgroups. I know the Manassas Park PD was quite active as I saw occasional traffic violation stops made by them at times when I was mobile.

I attempted to run Pro96com on the trs but it did not work. The trs signal was full scale so it was not a a 9600 baud trs. I also received the Prince William Co. trs, Manassas National Battlefield Park fine.

. I was not intimately familiar with the streets in Manassas/Manassas Park so I could not relate to Manassas city PD dispatch comms as to where a location was.

According to the RR database I should have received comms on two talkgroups unique to Manassas Park, 48016 and 48048, but I never heard these two talkgroups during 12 evenings of monitoring.

I could not find anything wrong with the 996XT Manassas trs file. TRS Signal reception was full scale.

1. Does Manassas city now also dispatch for Manassas Park and Manassas Park PD officers have unique unit numbers?

2. Can anyone confirm reception of the Manassas Park talkgroups listed in the RR database? Even if different they should have displayed on the 996XT.

3. Anyone have a guess as to why I never received the Manassas Park talkgroups?

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm that 48016 is Manassas Park PD. To my knowledge they have seperate dispatch. Since re-banding it seems I receive very little from either department. That said I had to program both my PSR500 and BCD 396XT with rebanded frequencies and custom tables. I would suggest that you check the custom tables for your scanner, that is probably where your reception problem is. Also keep in mind that compared to Prince William County Police, the Manassas/Manassas Park Police are a lot less busy!

W4UVV

No Manassas Park TRS talkgroups heard

Thanks for the response. While there I checked RR for previous posts on the subject and one response listed the correct custom table entries. After rebanding my custom table entries matched the earlier post. In order to lower the risk of missing Manassas Park talkgroup comms I edited all Manassas Park talkgroups with an audio alert tone. At no time during the 12 days I monitored, mostly in the evenings, did any audio tone alert activate. I understand the volume of traffic is much less than Prince William Co. and most of the time I deselected all radio systems except Manassas. I tried changing various other setup options including P25 standard and digital audio. My guess is Manassas is a 3600 baud Motorola trs. While mobile in town I observed 800 mhz. roof mounted center loaded cellular type antennas on the Manassas Park PD vehicles. If I was receiving the Manassas city PD dispatch and their TAC1 comms fine with "all" audio type selected, I cannot understand why I never heard Manassas Park comms since they basically are just other talkgroups using the same system controller with their own dispatch.

I plan to return the latter part of June for a week and will have more time to monitor.

Attached is a jpg of supposedly the valid custom table plan after rebanding. It worked fine for Manassas city comms and also should have worked for Manassas Park comms..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.